Good deal?

-
in my honest opinion, any thing would be better than an s15. dump it while its running LOL

on a serious note, without knowing any history or hearing it run , I couldn't tell you on the dart

I'd go check it out but it's like 4hrs. I'd offer $1000 n see what happens from there.

30 miles a day? Got to say I'd be looking for a 1st gen Neon with a manual at this price, 40 mpg and AC. That car is cooler then a Neon but i bet in it's current state it feels like death on wheels at 65 mph.

It's basically all back roads that I drive and with my s15 at 19 mpg I can go a week on $40. Yea I go 60-65 if I'm runnin late but don't have too

If the Dart is mechanicly sound I`d get it. :prayer: Darts never die!!!! My granddad had one not sure the year maybe a 70 it was a dark blue swinger is all I can remember of it,passed it on to my dad who passed it on to my brother who as a 16 year old kid couldn`t kill it though he tried real hard too. At least the old ones don`t die anyway, I can`t comment on that new thing they want to call a Dart.
I bought an 89 S-15 brand new back in the day biggest POS I ever had the misfortune of owning! Replaced the ball joints at least 3 times engine once,paint peeling off everywhere for no reason,body seam around rear window weeped water in and soaked pad under carpet making all the glass fog up when the sun hit it. Even had the power steering pulley actually break off while I was driving around town, just the center of the pulley around the bolt was left in the block, mechanic at the dealership was like oh another one.

I totally know what you mean about the paint!! The guy I bought it from works with the original owner. He said the clear peel while it was still under warranty so gm repainted it, that's cc peeled too! So when the guy I got it from bought it he replaced cab corners and repainted the entire truck bout 1 1/2-2 yrs ago and what do you know....View attachment image.jpg

My dad bought my sister a little S-10 new in 1988 for her first ride.
Dad being the cheap bastard he is, it had no rear bumper, radio or carpet, it was like $5500 bucks new.
She drove that thing 200K miles before hitting a cut stone 24" x 24" that was in the middle of the road.
I fixed the frame and me and the wife used it for another 2 years, traded it for a used 5-speed Neon and still got $1400 bucks trade in on it.
The little 4cyl 5-speed trucks are tough.

Mines got a 2.8 n like every other 2.8 it leaks oil like crazy! Like a quarter every 7-10 days!

the black primer is a cause for concern with the amount of rust on the rear. check out rust issues.

the black primer is a cause for concern with the amount of rust on the rear. check out rust issues.

Yea I thought the same thing tonight. I know if I can be patient and wait long enough I'll be able to find an original paint 70-71 dart with a pretty solid body for $1500-2500. The toughest thing is ik what I want the end result to look like and it's sorta hard on the patience to be on this great site n see other making progress and learning new things and getting ideas and not have a car to work on.

I guess you need to keep in mind the car won't do the job of a truck.

That's true when it comes to hailing stuff but my truck 2wd with a super light back end, if I get of the road I'm bout better off having a car. Lol

If there aren't any rust issues other than the floors then it's a good deal for someone who has the money.

Since you would have to sell your current DD to get it, then it is a definite no for me. You already know your truck runs well enough to be a DD. You have no idea whats going on with this Dart. He said one of the brake lines broke while bleeding. That's probably just the tip of the iceberg. You could be talking a few thousand dollars just to get it as reliable as your current vehicle. After adding up what it may need (suspension kit, brakes, tires, all new fluids etc) it may not be worth it on your budget. Slant sixes will run all day but who knows what parts were put on it? Could have a crappy remanufactured carb and distributor. Could have leaky manifold gaskets. You just never know.

I say be patient and save up your money so you can buy a project like this without having to sell your reliable vehicle.

bingo. Your truck runs now with a little oil leaking but it runs. You have no idea whats going on with the dart mechanically other then the brake line. You could be without a driver if it needs some good work done to it.

You both have a point. I'm gettin married in June n now is definitely a time that I can't go without a dd. My fiancée is ok with me getting a Dart but she'd rather I wait till we're married n settled in.

I would also personally not sell my daily driver until I knew for sure the particular car I was intending to replace it with was immediately roadworthy and a overall keeper.
My Dart "just" needed a cylinder head when I bought it. Cylinder walls ended up being too dicey to save. So I bought another slant to drop in, replaced all gaskets, timing chain etc.etc. etc. new paint. Ended up replacing 95% of the brakes(then I found disc brakes cheap for it, go figure). Getting ready to patch floor pan, need to have the intake/exhaust manifolds milled cuz' it's leaking. There is ALWAYS more that needs to be fixed than initially meets the eye. Seems to cost more ALWAYS as well.
Just speaking from experience...... Not complaining, just saying...

-
Back