Good Epoxy for steel to plastic, grill repair

-

392Mopar

Reaction score
Hey guys what would be a good epoxy to use to bond metal to plastic? I just picked up a Duster grill to replace my cracked one and the bottom drivers side is a little warped, probably from sitting on end for so long. I was thinking about just taking a peice of flat stock steel and bonding it to the underside so it will hold its shape. I would be completely hidden when the grills installed and its not a show car so I dont really care if I doctor it up. It doesnt take much force to hold it straight so I figure my idea should do the trick, just want to know if anyone has an idea what to use to bond it in place.

Butch

Good question....maybe check out jb weld...they have a couple different products out that might work for you. Whatever you do, let us know...

the shark tooth I've (just about) finished repairing was warped too (also in the lower driver's area, oddly enough).

I put spacer blocks in between the top and bottom, and used a heat gun to get it to go back into the correct shape.

But I like your idea, too (and I would suggest JB weld, like 4spd suggested).

Thanks guys, I'll give that a shot. Yeah I think the guy had it standing on end in a starage trailer for years, those things get pretty hot. Didnt think about using a heat gun, good idea.

Butch

Got pics ? ABS plastic is workable. A plastic welder works best but soldering irons work too.

If it's a no tension, non load bearing repair, JB Weld might be your best bet. It's not very good if it has to hold any kind of load, though.

I have to disagree about JB Welld not holding a load. When I bought my convertible, I had to fix the latch. The hook that locked it to the top of the windshield frame was loose. It practically fell out. I put some JB Weld in it and let it set for 24--48 hours. It seemed to be holding fine when I latched it. I tested it by trying to pull the hook out with vise grips, and it wouldn't budge. It has been on there for almost 10 years, and it gets tested every time I latch it. If you have ever closed one of these tops, you know that most of the tension is on the initial pull of the latch.

And JBWeld would be my first choice for this repair as well. Strong bond and sandable. Man, that is some good stuff. You cannot beat mixing chemicals for bonding!!!

the JB for metal works really well. I recently tried some for plastic on a broken grill tab. I let it cure for 2 days and I gingerly put the grill on without screwing it down tight , and it already broke again. the plastic stuff sucks.

How about Gorilla Glue? LOL, just kidding
Seriously, JB weld may work. I have used it successfully for things like this. 3M makes a panel adhesive that can be used to install body panels as opposed to welding. I think Eastwood also sells some of their own panel adhesive.

no offense but if you can buy it at wally mart then its not professional grade.

Professional automotive repair requires Automotive grade materials.

3M 8115

This stuff is used by body shops to bond 1/4 panels on. I have used it to rebuild grilles and plastic bezels. As strange as it seems, this stuff does not stick to duct tape so I have used duct tape to make molds of whatever I am trying build and the finished piece can be sanded, drilled....ect.

this stuff is amazing ...not cheap but it gets it done.

OMG now I sound like a commercial :D

Attachments

• 08116-3M-Automix-Panel-Bonding-Adhesive.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 196
no offense but if you can buy it at wally mart then its not professional grade.

Professional automotive repair requires Automotive grade materials.

3M 8115

This stuff is used by body shops to bond 1/4 panels on. I have used it to rebuild grilles and plastic bezels. As strange as it seems, this stuff does not stick to duct tape so I have used duct tape to make molds of whatever I am trying build and the finished piece can be sanded, drilled....ect.

this stuff is amazing ...not cheap but it gets it done.

OMG now I sound like a commercial :D
I took the letters-G M C, out of my 11 second 92 gmc grill that I bought off ebay, and repaired it w/ j b weld, held up perfectly, no problems.

95tee is correct.These can be heated and reshaped easily,i have done lots.
..but be careful not to get it too hot

-
Back