Good Idea?

-

Demon 408

Reaction score
I'm considering adding a set of exhaust flanges (header style) just ahead of the mufflers so I can unbolt the X-pipe for easy trans/clutch maintenance. The car has TTI headers and I'm preparing to install the complete TTI X-pipe exhaust system with tail pipes.

Has anyone else done this? Is it worth it?

I had thought of the same thing, but after the whole system was in and just "tacked", it looked as if there was sufficient clearance to remove/replace the tranny w/o needing to use the clamps (for additional room).

In other works, the "X" pipe is far enough back, that if you drop the system @ the collectors, there should be plenty of room to drop the tranny. I welded the whole Pypes system all the way back.

Keep in mind, that I have a 4 speed, so a 727 etc might be different.

It,s a great idea.It makes the trans. removal much easier,just a few bolts and it's all out of your way !! got them on both my cars :read2:

jan26 021.jpg

It,s a great idea.It makes the trans. removal much easier,just a few bolts and it's all out of your way !! got them on both my cars :read2:
Looks great. I notice that you placed them on the back of the muffler. Why is that? Is there a clearance issue with the driveshaft if you place them in the front of the muffler?

ya know I usually don't say any thing about the way things get dun to other people's car BUT I hop that's not a fuel line that close to the exhaust im shour it gets pretty hot there...just trying to help ....Artie

I believe YellowRunner undoes his exhaust at the header and the back of his muffler.That line(whatever it is)is close.

Great idea. I have band clamps right now till we get the "final" header/exhaust system in and they were a godsend when I had to get up to the transmission linkage. Not much room up and around that area with headers and it was nice to get the pipes out of the way for a while without having to hack it out.

that's an old photo of when I first put the car together,and yes the fuel line was close !!.It still flew!! The collector is behind the muffler because it was easier for the exhaust man to put it there.With 3 inch ex. you had to remove at least one side of the exhaust to get the crossmember off.And the car is a four speed and gets beat on so you know how that goes :-D

The collector is behind the muffler because it was easier for the exhaust man to put it there.With 3 inch ex. you had to remove at least one side of the exhaust to get the crossmember off.And the car is a four speed and gets beat on so you know how that goes :-D

Thanks for the info. I'm definately going to have flages installed. I'm mocking up the TTI exhaust now. Once I get everything lined and marked for location, I'll drop it all back out and take the cross over/exhaust pipes to muffler shop to have the header adapters welded and flanges installed. My Demon is a 4-speed also, that's why I want easy access to remove and replace the clutch.

-
Back