good late model axle swap Qs

-

moparmat2000

Reaction score
hi all

i am starting on my 67 cuda coupe project. i wanted to do a 4 wheel disc brake car and i got the front all figured out, using 74 dart large bolt pattern discs.

i wanted to do a rear end disc brake swap as painless as possible. i was told that a ford explorer disc brake rear would work well for what i want to do. i realise i will have to probably relocate the spring perches on the ford axle to work, i planned on getting the mopar spring offset relocator kit the one where i dont have to notch the frame.

is this rear the same width as my stocker 6 cylinder peg leg rear. i figured on possibly using the ford explorer rear as it was an 8.8 differential and the mustang GT parts availability gears as well as sure grip differential parts was there, plus its a 5 bolt 4&1/2" circle same as large bolt pattern mopar.

anybody done this swap?? if so can you give me the pros, and the cons of such a swap.

i plan on running an offset master cylinder bracket and a redbore manual master cylinder along with a wilwood biasing valve to eliminate the proportioning valve.

email me at [email protected]
thanks
matt

does the right side tube messure 27in on your 67 if so it wil work ...you have to move spring perchs out to 43 in on center....easy way is to meassure 41/2 in from end of tube back to center.each side.....you can use same perches mark you perches front and back on tube using a stright edge out to end of axle tube this will keep your angle close.....doing my 64 valiant and i am in progess......bonehead

An 8.25 from an F body will fit, but might be pretty close on the wheel wells. Cut off the old spring seats and weld them on .75 inches inward and you are good. From another thread here, you can use the brake setups off of a 1996 to 1999 Jeep Cherokee are bolt ons for 8.25.

I've never tried an 8.8 swap, but I have heard it's been done. I think there was a thread on here about it somewhere.

the explorer rear is much wider than your stock rear i want to say 3-4". i put one in my duster there is a thread on it here with a few different approaches. it will change your wheel selection.

-
Back