Good ol wagon days

-

Princess Valiant

A.K.A. Rainy Day Auto
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
So I have a book that was written to be a tribute to wagons. Good ol classic American wagons. In this book there are a lot of cool and funny stories regarding family trips and everyday chores done with a family station wagon.

If you are a baby boomer here or if you have a cool story regarding a wagon then please share.

GOOD FAMILY stories, if you are just going to make sexual innuendos and talk nonsense, then don't even bother.

I am a wagon fan and I have a B-body wagon and I am into the idea of keeping a piece of Americana alive. Vintage photos welcome, whether your family or not.

1988 ..,lol.. A friend inherited a 73 Chrysler wagon,complete with baby poop brown paint,and fake wood panels,down the sides..440 four barrel,727 ,basically 70k on the odometer... He said "I hate it!!!" "to drive it ,around town..( Go figure: he liked air cooled hot rod Volkswagen...,Google it...) We went on a local cruise night (bumper to bumper traffic,for hours..) ,that was the coolest cruiser ever.... Not "his actual car" in the picture.... I don't see how people hate ,station wagons...

download (3).jpg

They were fun for sure, 15 kids going to the beach, rear facing seats, spitball fights they are definitely from a lost time!

Mom & Dad & 7 kids would pile into the 63 Ford wagon and drive 7 hours to Grandpa's cottage. Mom would bring board games for us to play, we would hit each other with them... haha. We would pic a number to see who the lucky ones were that got to sit in the pop up seat facing the back window. We would crawl over each other to switch seats ( no baby seats to get in the way ) AHHH the good ol days. I could not find pics but here is the same car.

ford wagon.jpg

I was in the boy scouts and there was a annual campout for all the state wide troops.
One of my friends had a Dart wagon he brought out (no license yet) and after it got dark a bunch of us climbed in and on this guy's wagon.
There must have been 20 kids piled on the hood and roof with literally hundreds of eggs, and we drove around through all the other troops camps and egged the crap out of them.
No lights and driving through the open fields of rocks logs, and everything else you could think of and couldn't see a thing but scattered camp fires from the other camps.
You could feel big rocks just ripping the underside of that thing to pieces, kids yelling that they fell off and to stop for them.
The guy even drove right through camp fires scattering sparks and ashes everywhere as we blasted through their camps pelting them with eggs.
Sadly the wagon didn't come home with us, as it had holes in the trans and engine pans and a bent to hell driveline by the time we left so it died out in the middle of the CA high desert, and was still there the last I knew when I was in my 20's.
Thinking back on it people could have easily gotten killed that night, but we were invincible back then. :D

Boy things sure have changed over the years.
My best friend's Mom had a 56 Chevy wagon that we sat on the tailgate with our legs hanging down while going back and forth the 6 miles from my house to his.
On paved roads and through town.
Granted it was a town with 325 population and one Sherriff that drove through once a day.
It was 1968 and I was in the 6th or 7th grade.

We always had a wagon in the family, every year we took a road trip to a different state. Many fond memories.
My sister was driving the Gran Torino wagon with my buddy and I to the beach and yes were in the back bouncing around picking our noses at people when they looked our way and smash!! a Corvette went right under our rear bumper and my buddy flew right into the cooler full of ice and it was like a hale storm in there. I could not stop laughing for days after that.

Here is my wife's daily driver `66 Coronet 440 318 poly with 500,000 miles on it. We bought it local from the original owner, he was a musician and traveled in it all over. She loves her wagon.
1217111551.jpg

We always had a wagon in the family, every year we took a road trip to a different state. Many fond memories.
My sister was driving the Gran Torino wagon with my buddy and I to the beach and yes were in the back bouncing around picking our noses at people when they looked our way and smash!! a Corvette went right under our rear bumper and my buddy flew right into the cooler full of ice and it was like a hale storm in there. I could not stop laughing for days after that.

Here is my wife's daily driver `66 Coronet 440 318 poly with 500,000 miles on it. We bought it local from the original owner, he was a musician and traveled in it all over. She loves her wagon. View attachment 1714976055
See Lori in that,everywhere....

I was in the boy scouts and there was a annual campout for all the state wide troops.
One of my friends had a Dart wagon he brought out (no license yet) and after it got dark a bunch of us climbed in and on this guy's wagon.
There must have been 20 kids piled on the hood and roof with literally hundreds of eggs, and we drove around through all the other troops camps and egged the crap out of them.
No lights and driving through the open fields of rocks logs, and everything else you could think of and couldn't see a thing but scattered camp fires from the other camps.
You could feel big rocks just ripping the underside of that thing to pieces, kids yelling that they fell off and to stop for them.
The guy even drove right through camp fires scattering sparks and ashes everywhere as we blasted through their camps pelting them with eggs.
Sadly the wagon didn't come home with us, as it had holes in the trans and engine pans and a bent to hell driveline by the time we left so it died out in the middle of the CA high desert, and was still there the last I knew when I was in my 20's.
Thinking back on it people could have easily gotten killed that night, but we were invincible back then. :D
Man you did all sorts of crazy **** in your life didn't you??!! Lol

Man you did all sorts of crazy **** in your life didn't you??!! Lol

You have no idea. :D
Some time I should tell you about sneaking onto a military base armed with small caliber rifles to shoot ground squirrels and getting chased through the hills by 6 fully geared up soldiers for 6-7 hours.
We let them get close so many times they could have tossed a beer and hit one of us and they were frickin PISSED.
We kept telling them they should just go back and say they couldn't find us, but they wouldn't let it go.
Ran them poor boys half to death for most of a day before they included two jeeps and a Hummer in the chase so we stealthed up and lost them in the hills.

Last edited:
So I have a book that was written to be a tribute to wagons. Good ol classic American wagons. In this book there are a lot of cool and funny stories regarding family trips and everyday chores done with a family station wagon.

If you are a baby boomer here or if you have a cool story regarding a wagon then please share.

GOOD FAMILY stories, if you are just going to make sexual innuendos and talk nonsense, then don't even bother.

I am a wagon fan and I have a B-body wagon and I am into the idea of keeping a piece of Americana alive. Vintage photos welcome, whether your family or not.

Sold my two wagons last year prior to my Arizona move. Wish I had the Lancer back

7913172-New_Look_Lancer_jpg[1].jpg

1964 Ford Galaxie, maroon with wood grain. Oh I miss a real instrument panel. Throwing pieces of track from Action Highway 99 out the back window on Rt. 295, and Mom asking why we were laughing.

1964 Ford Galaxie, maroon with wood grain. Oh I miss a real instrument panel. Throwing pieces of track from Action Highway 99 out the back window on Rt. 295, and Mom asking why we were laughing.

Dont even start me on 60's Galaxies.. Miss my 66 500 two door( mild 390 ,slammed..American 200-s Daisy wheels)...

A mini van just doesnt have the same cool factor.
like the 64 wagon ! An uncle and aunt picked me up from my mothers house in Tulsa one time, I was about 9 or 10 yrs old. He had a 59 ford wagon. He was running about 70-75 on the way back to a small town where we lived. A guy was passing on the two lane (then) hiway, he pulled out just as we met him, no time to hit the brakes. My uncle was cool as hell, and at that speed whipped the wagon over in the weeds -off the road, never let off, and pulled back on the hi way like nothing happened. Good thing there wasn`t any thing on that side of the road , or a bridge etc. only wagon I was ever around.

Ive been around, life has gotten in the way but Im still here. I still have my wagon.

Ive been around, life has gotten in the way but Im still here. I still have my wagon.
still want to be first in line if you ever sell or trade it !------providing u don`t wreck it ---------bob

Whatever Bob, I'll end up buried in this thing probably. Or living in the back of it.

-
Back