good rearend?

-

hamesdart

Reaction score
I have a 54 dodge truck....
Need a new rear end
Mine is the small truck rearend and its got 4.88 gears so i cant go over like 50mph.
I found a dodge truck like 78 rearend chrysler 9.25 thats in great shape with 3.21 and 11inch brakes and everything for $45
The measerments work perfect and everything for the swap but just getting opinions on the rearend.. strenght and everything.
Need to change rear ends bad because of the gears and you cant buy brakes for these original rear ends.
It needs to hold up against quit a bit... im eather going early hemi or built small or big block maby turbo'd or something dont know yet.
But mite get a 4 speed for rompin around town.
Thanks guys

Its a decent piece. I wouldn't try putting much more than 450hp through it because it has C-clip axles so if the axle shaft brakes it starts walking out of the housing.

Your other options are to find an 8 3/4 out of a slightly earlier dodge truck or if full floating axles are OK with you, you can just grab a dana 60 out of a 3/4 ton truck.

well yah.. i have been looking around for a good price.
Im trying to put money into my dart rite now and not spend anything on my truck yet. But the neccesary things like being able to hit the freeway is important since i drive it daily.
Im just looking for a good strong rear end to hold up against a mild motor with a 4 speed just jumpin around town,
Maby an early hemi with a little extras or something,
I would like to keep it chrysler and an 8.75 and dana are expensive and a little hard to find for me. But for 45 bucks if these are decent i think it would work

Heck yes a 9.25 is plenty strong and you can get decent parts for it. There are axles available from vans, pickups, and large C bodies.

yah i figured its going to be a mild build like the simple carb intake and carb and header type build with a 4 speed if i can.
IF not im going like a 383 or 440 with a turbo or something.
But for 45 bucks i think it should be a good deal. either way it needs to be replaced.

i'd do it then...even if you break it you would only be out $45 anyway. Its pretty likely to hold up.

My 74 Charger came with the 9.25 from the factory... also with a 318 which was swapped out for a 383. I do beleive that these cars also came with the 440 and same 9.25 rear. Ma mopar used these in the 70's heavier applications... I kinda wish they had continued with the 8.75's though.

Yes they are C clip. You can find a good variety of gearsets and suregrips are also available.

45 is a great deal... use it and abuse it! lol

Just wanted to add as I found my notes...

9.25 rears can use Dana Trac loc 92-0392-3125 (31 spline) or Chrysler Sure Grip 92-0392-3145 (31 spline)

Hey PettyBluDart... I'm looking for a source on the C-Clip eliminators for my 9.25 rear as I'm planning a rear rebuild and figure the eliminators will be a bonus.

Thank you

Hey PettyBluDart... I'm looking for a source on the C-Clip eliminators for my 9.25 rear as I'm planning a rear rebuild and figure the eliminators will be a bonus.

Thank you

C-clip eliminators are JUNK..they will leak in short order and the bearings wear out quickly in a street application. My friend's Chevelle has done this. The best idea is to get some 9" ford axle ends welded on, and get some axles made that use the torino bearings. Then you have no worries. You COULD use 8 3/4 housing ends and get custom axles, but I don't like green bearings.

-
Back