Good street strip tires

-

smythge

65 with a BIG BLOCK
Reaction score
I am putting my new rear end this coming weekend, and going from the small bolt pattern to the big, so I will have some options on rims. I need some ideas on what would be a legal tire for the street, but will also hook up good at the strip. The car is only driven mildly on the street, but will be driven several times a year at the strip. I am limited on size, as I have a 65 Dart that I am putting a Ford 8.8" rear end in. It is the same width as the original rear end, but I will be moving the springs inboard for a little extra room. give me some tire suggestions and what I should be looking for as far a back spacing and offset. Thanks,

Greg

If you arent going to drive it in the rain at all, some M/T ET Streets would work great. Im not sure as far as size goes on a 65 though.

I'm using the M/T drag radials. Work excellent. Tubeless. I highly recommend these from personal use.

don

dusterdon said:
I'm using the M/T drag radials. Work excellent. Tubeless. I highly recommend these from personal use.

don

I love mine. :thumblef:

dusterdon said:

don
What kind of burn out is required with these tires? Is it the same as reg drag slicks?

I was looking on the Mickey Thompson website and they had a technical bulletins on the burnout procedure here it is

BURNOUTS- FOR MOST APPLICATIONS
1. First pass of the day hard burnout. After that follow general guidelines of #2 and #3 stated below.

2. Automatic transmissions and Softer compounds: First pass or two, fairly hard burnout, after that a light burnout should be sufficient.

3. Standard transmission "Stockers": No burnout or short, dry burnout. Super Stock and Comp cars- light burnout, haze tires and stage immediately.

Are you guy talking about the E/T STreet or the E/T Street radial tires? Both of those look like good street/strip tires. Just that one is a radial and the other bias ply wrinkle wall tire that requires a tube. Oviously one would be alot better at the track where the other would be better on the street. Just wondering what you guys were running.

ET Street Radials, Some guys say they run faster on them then the bias plies but are as consistent. They Handle alot better on the street too.

IM000530.jpg

Thanks Adam. I was looking at tires myself and was wondering what to get. I always try to stay away from the rain with my car but you know you can always get cought in it. Have you ever driven the tires in an unexpected rain storm?

I got caught in a nasty down pour with them last year with my wife and son in the car about 4 miles from home. I just drove slow and was fine.

-
Back