Good use of a Camaro....

-
Turns out I have a friend that recently retired from State Farm. He told me that any car that is a total loss will never be repaired and resold. They either go to the crusher, or to a parting vendor.
Having said that, this Camaro had 2 choices; either go to the crusher, or be "repaired" like this. Soooooooooo I guess this "restoration" was this car's only stay of excecution.

George

Wrong. When my swinger was deemed TOTALED by State Farm after some asshole turned in front of me I kept the car and its still on the road.

I agree with all the other guys here. It's a Camaro. Who cares. Go to any car show and you will see plenty of them. Hell, I can sell you a brand new 68 Camaro if you want! They are belly buttons. If I had to have a Camaro, like someone held a gun to my head and said "Pick one or die" thats the only way i would take one, I would go with a 70. Way better looking car and not totally played out like the first gen.

Thanks for the answers.
I don't know about where you two guys live, but here in very congested CT, there are very few 67-8 Camaros around anymore.

Have a good night.

George

San Fransisco Bay Area. go to ANY car show, anytime time any place, youll find 10- 20 camaros. pick your color....350 small block, 396/454 big block, or LS1. all standard mail order parts from the 1000 places that make parts for those cars. pick your part, any part out of a catalog. too easy to build a camaro.

Thats why I like MOPAR. they are truly a unique car. there's very few of em...mopar people are different than the regular chevy/ford guys.

the best part is when a guy walks by a row of 6 or 8 camaros across the way to a half rusted 340 duster, stands there , points , and says ,"now THAT is frickin COOL"

the best part is when a guy walks by a row of 6 or 8 camaros across the way to a half rusted 340 duster, stand there , point , and say ,"now THAT is frickin COOL"

That sounds like me except I walk past all the e-bodies :D

i actually have one in the garage that i may trade for another abody!!!!!!!

o_o' I don't get it. This is all polarized into absolute, pointless Camaro hate (I wouldn't own one either, but I'd take an old Camaro over 99.9% of the new cars made, mopar or not), and talking about how it's a disgrace. Am I the only one who really thinks that this was neat? Kinda making a display piece/work of art out of what would have been an otherwise trashed car?

And before you start the "It's not art it's ugly! I hate it!" Art's kinda up to the individual. I think it's neat.

For those calling this dumb, if you actually take the time to read the article, there are a couple of points of clarification that help this project make sense.

1. The car was originally a basket case so nothing of real value was harmed in this creation.

2. The car is a training tool for adjusters to help them evaluate the value of classic cars.

3. The car is an educational tool for would be restorers and or those doing resto-mods. For example, the "pro-touring" side of the car has poor quality workmanship and "popular" modifications.

Overall, I think it is a pretty neat exercise that juxtapositions two schools of thought on restoration.

Regards,

Joe Dokes

You know after years and years of seeing magazines show camaro after camaro. I bet yall have seen a camaro done 1,000 different ways. But I bet you have yet to see one like that done.

San Fransisco Bay Area. go to ANY car show, anytime time any place, youll find 10- 20 camaros. pick your color....350 small block, 396/454 big block, or LS1. all standard mail order parts from the 1000 places that make parts for those cars. pick your part, any part out of a catalog. too easy to build a camaro.

Thats why I like MOPAR. they are truly a unique car. there's very few of em...mopar people are different than the regular chevy/ford guys.
I have a feeling just going by his location that most of the Camaros in his area have rotted back in to the earth where they came from.
the best part is when a guy walks by a row of 6 or 8 camaros across the way to a half rusted 340 duster, stands there , points , and says ,"now THAT is frickin COOL"
My thoughts exactly. Camaro=Boring

I sold a 69 Camaro to buy my Duster. A lot of times I am the only A body Mopar to show up at an event in the Dallas / Ft Worth are....there is always a sea of first gen Camaros. Being an insurance adjuster its nice to see an insurance company build something like this to give agents and adjusters a clue.
Also every state has different laws concerning totals. Here in Texas there is one title that does prevent the car from every being put back on the road.

when i saw the title of this thread i thought it was going to be something about Vanishing Point where they crashed a camaro into the roadblock instead of using a challenger

My opinion - That looks really dumb. Somebody F'ed a muscle car. While a camaro is not my favorite by any stretch, to do that is just awful.

I'm not gonna say Camaros ain't cool cars cause they are....I mean the old ones. I also like the early 2nd generation like BigDummy's car. Sorry, but if somebody on here don't like BigDummy's car, you gotta problem cause it's cool.

Now, all that said, I think there are more "high end" Camaros (SS, Z/28, RS, etc.) on the road now than were ever built. You can piece together a whole car from the aftermarket.

It is not as big of a challenge to build a car like that, since every other aftermarket supplier seems to specialize in chebbie parts. Mopar guys have more of a challenge in finding parts plus our parts are more expensive. This means we'll have more expenditure in the end result, but we'll have more pride because we've spent more time and money finding parts than anyone ever could on a chebbie. Lets face it, chebbie stuff is almost fallin outta the sky in comparison.

Some of yall can keep your chebbie hate. Sorry guys, but any auto maker that used camshafts with 250 plus degrees duration @.050 from the factory is cool in my book. They are AMERICAN muscle and I am PROUD of our American automotive heritage. Were it not for the Camaro, we might not have ever had big block A bodies to mop up the floor with them....not that we need a big block when we had the 340. You remove one single model from time and you stack the deck differently, because they were all competing with each other. That's why when I'm at a car show, the only ones I walk by are the ones not from this soil. They SUCK.

when i saw the title of this thread i thought it was going to be something about Vanishing Point where they crashed a camaro into the roadblock instead of using a challenger
which they did in the original movie :D

i may dislike them, but i certianly dont hate them, but i dont stop and look

Well, there a lot more new Challengers on the road than old Camaros, and they require no restoration. So by logic here, they're worthless pieces of junk :3

Brand bashing is for idiots. I have been working on a customers '63 Corvette and man that is a fun car to drive. I would buy one if they weren't so expensive. A can am style first gen camaro I think would be fun too. I can appreciate most all cars from the early seventies and older. Now being someone who's first car was a '72 challenger and drove mopars exclusively from the late seventies into the nineties I will say some of the "other brand" car owners were less than friendly back then. I don't like seeing the mopar crowd adopt this attitude. I know this is a mopar pureist site and we are proud of our cars as we should be. I just don't think throwing insults around is very productive.

-
Back