Good way to punch scoop holes in hood???

-

idrift

Reaction score
My hood is already painted and installed on the car, but I'd like to punch the
scoop holes in the hood and put the grommets in, anyone had any luck
with this. All I can think about is a big hole saw or maybe a plasma cutter?

Tape the hood with good quality masking tape in area of cutting no matter what technique you use.

If its me I use a small diameter cutting wheel...like 2-4" max. 1/8" thick and cut the groove shallow first then work your way around.

A plug in Dremel will also work very well if you use the larger diameter
wheels....they are 1.5" or 40mm I believe. Be ready to have several, like 10 or more on hand cause they are fragile.

4" or so hole saw is another way that will work fie if you use a good drill that has good torque....like a 1/2" drive.

Once you cut through paint the edges with something and let them dry so it protects the metal before you install the grommet.

Follow through and have a steady hand and you should be OK.

Mop

i saw chip foose do this with a hole saw. he traced a pattern from the hood scoop and then set it on the car and secured it to the hood. he then just drilled the holes. He went pretty slow

Use "blue" low tack tape.
Some masking tapes stick to good, and can peel up paint.

left or right aviation snips,cut the hole progrssively larger till it's about an 1/8" too small then take the last cut carefully and slow using the low tack masking tape as suggested.you will need to run a file around it afterwards with any technique and you will want to touch up the paint where you cut at so it dont rust

best way is with electrician knock out punch, very clean and takes about 1 min, but not sure if the punches come in 4"

momoparman said it well!

did mine with the 4" hole saw. Left the hood in place too. Just make sure you place a drop cloth over everything...you are going to get a BILLION tiny metal shavings...that go everywhere... Discard drop cloth after.

Good luck. Aloha!

sharp carbide bit with tape over the areas you want to drill out let the bit do the work with alittle cutting oil so you dont lift paint or warp the metal from the heat.... tape both sides of the hood so the under the hood looks clean too or better yet hold a small block of wood under it just before you get through the metal and you wont get much of a lip on the flipside

-
Back