Goodyear Bluestreaks on a 66 Dart 273 Hipo?

-

Bill Adams

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the 6.95-14 Goodyear bluestreaks were available from the factory on a 66 Dart 273 Hipo? Can you tell on the buildsheet? Has anyone bought the repos that are available from Kelsey Tire? ($350.00 each!) Thanks!

Bill, I am an old school Mopar guy and have researched this in depth tonight. I have numerous books and actual dealer brochures. I have never seen this tire on a 66 Dart, but would swear I saw them on a 66 Formula S Barracuda in 66. The books show this as a possible "99" code, but the only 66 listing for an actual Blue Streak is for the 15" on the Hemi Coronets or Satellites. WO's and RO's. I remember the car distinctly, as I test drove it in 66. It was a Formula S 273-4V, four speed car. I believe the Blue Streaks were an option in 66, but only on the Formula S Barracuda. I worked at a Dodge Dealership throughout High School, (63-67) and we delivered many HiPo Darts and HiPo B-Bodies....but I never saw one with Blue Streaks. Not much of an answer....but I was there. It was a great time to grow up. I will keep looking.

Bill, I am an old school Mopar guy and have researched this in depth tonight. I have numerous books and actual dealer brochures. I have never seen this tire on a 66 Dart, but would swear I saw them on a 66 Formula S Barracuda in 66. The books show this as a possible "99" code, but the only 66 listing for an actual Blue Streak is for the 15" on the Hemi Coronets or Satellites. WO's and RO's. I remember the car distinctly, as I test drove it in 66. It was a Formula S 273-4V, four speed car. I believe the Blue Streaks were an option in 66, but only on the Formula S Barracuda. I worked at a Dodge Dealership throughout High School, (63-67) and we delivered many HiPo Darts and HiPo B-Bodies....but I never saw one with Blue Streaks. Not much of an answer....but I was there. It was a great time to grow up. I will keep looking.

Thanks for the info, I have also seen them on the 66 Formula S Cudas years ago...I am thinking of buying a set of the repro's and mounting them on a set of 14" Cragars for a cool vintage look.

Check out this pic...

67dodgedartcragarcapsincluded.jpg

65-67 Barracuda's had the "Blue Streak" Tire option, not sure about the 66 Dart's, I believe 67 Dart had the option though. The 66 Hemi Coronet, Charger, Satellite all had the blue line tire option too in the 14 and inch but it was not a Good Year Blue Streak, it was a Good Year but something similar to what the Shelby Mustang had, maybe a Good Year Speedway, they looked the same but were definetly did not have the "Blue Streak" lettering on these tires. I know a guy lucky enough to have 10 of these tires, my dad borrowed 4 mint originals for the Mopar show one year for his 66 Formula S, wow, nothing looks better that those babies on a stoch Barracuda hipo!!!! I will try to find a pic if it.

All 273, four barrel, '66 Darts with 14 inch wheels came from the factory with blue streaks.
I know a fellow who bought a set of repop Blue Streaks for his '66 Plymouth Hemi Belvedere. They look like off road mud tires since the tread is modern radial. That was the biggest pet peeve regarding the resto, but I bet they outperformed the originals. But I digress... Blue Streaks were also standard on '66 Hemi Belvederes.

I've got a 66 Dart sales brochure and shows blue streaks with the "optional Rallye Pack" (special suspension, tires, and other items). toolmanmike

My post should have started... All 273, four barrel, '66 Dart GTs with 14 inch wheels. Also one has to keep in mind that the Goodyear Blue Streak was NOT the highest performance option tire. D/Darts didn't come with them, and the Hemi Coronets and Belvederes had a 7.75 x 14 blackwall that was the top tire.

I seem to remember seeing them on a 65 or 66 Dart with the hi-po motor. Re. Kelsey repos, would love to have them but wish they were 350.00 for a pair instead!

Just use 205/70/r14 whitewalls and save a lot of money.

Does anyone know if the 6.95-14 Goodyear bluestreaks were available from the factory on a 66 Dart 273 Hipo? Can you tell on the buildsheet? Has anyone bought the repos that are available from Kelsey Tire? ($350.00 each!) Thanks!

100_0401a1Small.jpg

I ordered tires from Diamondback. They will smooth the sidewall of their radials, and put on a raised blue line 3/8". I am trying to find a way to add white letters to spell out Goodyear and bluestreak, thinking painting or vinyl letters like for a sign.

Tires look and perform great! They are Firestone 500's I think.

are you aware of the www.kelseytires.com bluestreak repos? They are unfortuantly a little pricey ($350 each!) but might be better than trying to modify a tire to look like them. One drawback is that they are bia-ply tires, not radials.

My dad ordered a 4 door 66 dart with disc brakes, HD suspension, sway bar, 273 w 3spd on the tree and tires that had 14" red stripe tires on it from the factory ! I dont think those were blue streaks - doesnt sound like it. back in the day you apparently could order whatever was on the order sheet regardless of the body style.

Toolman is right. The Blue Streak was part of the Rallye Pack that included fast ratio manual steering like the Formula S package. Also included in the pack that was worthwhile was a front anti-sway bar. Here's my old 273 Hi-Po 66 GT A/C, DB restored to 97 point form. (Nicked 2 points for radials and one for the radiator cap.) It's a non-Rallye Pack car.

66 Dart GT 001.jpg

Toolman is right. The Blue Streak was part of the Rallye Pack that included fast ratio manual steering like the Formula S package. Also included in the pack that was worthwhile was a front anti-sway bar. Here's my old 273 Hi-Po 66 GT A/C, DB restored to 97 point form. (Nicked 2 points for radials and one for the radiator cap.) It's a non-Rallye Pack car.
Blue streaks were standard on all Dart 273 4-barrel GTs with 14 inch wheels regardless. My car has disc brakes, optional 3.55 suregrip and the H-D Suspension package (rallye pack), and there is no fast ratio box.

And looking good to, I thought about doing the same to Victoria till I changed out two Ralley. Your Valiant Signet looks great :cheers:
Just use 205/70/r14 whitewalls and save a lot of money.

100_0401a1Small.jpg

A good friend ordered a '66 Valiant convert, 273/235 hp Commando -motored, 4 sp, dk green/blk top/blk int w/buckets and console, small "Commando" emblems on front fenders, 3.91 sure-grip, and yes, it had the wider 14" steel wheels, full hubcaps (kinda lousy-looking) AND Goodyear Blue Streak tires....not sure about rally pack suspension, but I would say, yes. It was ordered by and delivered to: Bancroft Motors Chrysler-Plymouth in Worcester, Massachusetts after a lengthly (way longer than normal) wait. Car was very quick and handled quite well. This guy won many drag trophies at NHRA tracks in Orange, Mass., Lebanon Valley, NY and Connecticut Dragway, in East Haddam. Ct. in the late '60's....He sold this car shortly after getting married, probably around 1970. It was still in mint condition, even though New England is in the salt belt....I would love to locate this car, or one that was factoy-equipped like it.....Car also had the "rectangular box" exhaust tip. Also interested in ANY AND ALL ORIGINAL 273/235 Valiant '65-'66 information, ESPECIALLY CONVERTIBLE CARS, i.e. production numbers, options, etc. Thanks and best wishes to all. WJL

always loved the blue streak look

fstfish, I'd figure you'd hate the look. After you take someone for a ride in that car, figured you'd have passengers sh**ting a blue streak! What a mess! :-D Now back to our regularly scheduled thread.

funny,,,but i do love a early dart/cuda with the blue streaks,,havent seen one in YEARSSSSSSSS

funny,,,but i do love a early dart/cuda with the blue streaks,,havent seen one in YEARSSSSSSSS

Definitely not something seen everyday, that's for sure. And they do look good. Red stripes aren't something you see much of anymore either...just a trend?

-
Back