Got a leak coming from gear selector

-

Moparboyz01

Reaction score
I have a 727 trans and i have a bad leak coming from my gear shifter selector is the a seal or grommet there that could be bad. If so can i get this part from the parts store or will i have to go to a transmission shop. I looked under car and i could move gear selector up and down and fluid runs out. Also when i take it out of park it just falls right into drive and i cant tell which gear im in unless i take foot off break it doesnt click or anything. Sometimes when i put it in park and turn it off somehow it slips out and i cant start car unless i pull up on lever. Can someone please tell me how i can fix this problem. Thanks alot

Yes, there is a seal that goes around the shift select shaft. I suspect that if you can get the seal places other than a trans place but call a local trans shop and ask them where to get one if you can't find yourself. Not sure if you can recplace it without dropping the trans pan and valve body though.

It sounds like you could have something broken in the valve body anyway if the selector moves that much and you have no ratcheted click between the gear selects from park to drive so may be best to pull the pan anyway.

Thats a common shaft seal but it is knocjed in from the top and a real chore to change. Others will share their methods and tools used. I could tell you exactly where to put a hole in the floor pan so you can knock the seal in from inside the car too. Either way if it leaks when finished you get to do it all over again. Best advise I have to offer is take it to a trans shop and let them fix it.

I have a 727 trans and i have a bad leak coming from my gear shifter selector is the a seal or grommet there that could be bad. If so can i get this part from the parts store or will i have to go to a transmission shop. I looked under car and i could move gear selector up and down and fluid runs out. Also when i take it out of park it just falls right into drive and i cant tell which gear im in unless i take foot off break it doesnt click or anything. Sometimes when i put it in park and turn it off somehow it slips out and i cant start car unless i pull up on lever. Can someone please tell me how i can fix this problem. Thanks alot
O'Reillys has the selector shaft seal and once you drain the fluid you should be able to change the seal. Take the pan off,valve body, shift linkage and drive the seal out. I used a long bolt, 2 large diameter washers and nut to install the seal.

Shaft Seal 1.jpg

Ok thanks J&B will i have to change my valve body since i have no click between gears and it slips out of park or will the seal fix that problem too.

-
Back