Got a question. fuel pump eccentric

-

Slappy

Reaction score
I went to put this fuel pump eccentric on and noticed it has a keyway cut into it. When I installed it I lined it up with the keyway on the camshaft. The keyway doesnt come out far enough to engage the eccentric. In otherwords there isnt enough cam sticking out to engage the eccentric. Is this right?? If you look at the photo you will see the keyway.

Attachments

• IMG_8275.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 597
Is it a magnum block with a roller cam? If so you need an extension to run a mech fuel pump

The timing set I have came with the block. It was new never ran. Are the timing sets different? Maybe have the wrong one?

Can't remember; the slot keys into sprocket, I think. No key on the cam, except for sprocket. If no answers, I can look at my parts in the AM.

Hi,

maybe your cam sprocket is not fully engaged on the cam - watch if the Gears have some space behind.

Do you use a chain tensioner?

Michael

Cam and cam gear is all the way back. Not sure if eccentric rides on cam or rides on gear. Seems to me it should ride on something.

the 3 keyway on the lower gear should have no influence at your cam sprocket or pump eccentric.

The Cam can go a little further in as it should be during operation. Try to pull it outwards against the thrust plate - you´ll see if it works. maybe this is the amount you need to push back the cam sprocket and engage the fuel pump eccentric.

Michael

Thy this, put only the washer and bolt on the cam shaft. Use a small pry bar between the cam sprocket and washer to put the shaft forward through the sprocket. If you can get just a little of the key itself exposed, the eccentric will engage.

ok started fooling around with this problem again. I took the advise. I did move cam more towards front and had plenty of room now for the eccentric. But now after I tighten the cam bolt on the end the eccentric remains loose! If I tap the end of the bolt and slide the cam back torwards rear of motor the eccentric remains tight. This is def not right. I have a quarter inch of play between cam thrust plate and rear of motor. Do I have wrong timing set? What would keep this tight once timing cover is installed? I am thinking the back of the cam gear need to be a quarter inch longer to make it right. So basically with everything bolted up and chain on the cam moves forward and backwards a quarter inch. What gives???

Update. If you take the dish style washer that goes under mounting bolt and put dish side in torwards rear of engine everything is perfect. So the question now is does the dish side of washer go towards rear of engine or front of engine. Im thinking I just had washer upside down.

here are the pix with washer installed both ways. cant put timing cover on until I know. with dish of washer faced to rear of engine everything seems lined up and cam tight. this is first pix. With the dish facing outwards the cam moves and the eccentric is not tight. Help! lol

Attachments

• 053.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 766
  • 054.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 518
Ok thanks to cudachicks man Billy. He called me to help me out. Thanks Billy. Cupped part of washer goes to the rear of engine.

Yep the first pic is correct. Cupped washer towards rear and thrust plate needs to be on. The cupped washer pulls the cam forward against the thrust plate then just line the keyways up and you're good to go.

-
Back