Got a Visit From Carcraft Last Sunday

-

GoFish

Have impressive member
Reaction score
Got a visit from John McGann last Sunday. He's one of the editors of Carcraft. He's doing a story on E-body owner's take on the new SRT Challenger. He brought over a brand-new tor-red 6.1 liter Challenger for me to test drive and give him my impressions. I've got a 1970 'Cuda. He took some photos of the red Challenger and my Lemon Twist 'Cuda that will probably show up in the magazine.

The Challenger is great, but when he asked if I'd buy one if I had $44k laying around, my answer was no. The Challenger is everything a modern luxury sports car should be, but the 'Cuda looks better, sounds better, smells better and brings a lump to my throat every time I mash the gas pedal and leave a cloud of smoke behind. Sure the suspension can't compare, and you couldn't hear a radio in the 'Cuda if you wanted to. But the Challenger is just too refined for my taste.

The best part was that John had never ridden in an E-body, so I took him for a spin. I almost had him crying for his Mommy by the time I hit 3rd gear...:-D

Oh, and he wants to do a story on the Turbo Scamp when its done!

I am glad you had the cuda there to let him see what a muscle car is.
How long has the 6.1 been out ?
Lets take a look at your cuda when you get the time :-D

I know this is forabodiesonly.com, and I don't have time to visit forebodiesonly.com, but since you asked...

100-0001_IMG.JPG

100-0007_IMG.JPG

And its my favorite color :cheers: Is that Y5 lemon twist ?
Thank you for sharing :-D Sweet Cuda =P~=P~

That's a great looking car!

Mike, that is really nice. It reminds me what my '70 Lemon Twist Cuda should have looked like before I sold it to buy the '71. BTW: If for some reason the Scamp isn't ready to go for Fall Fling, bring the '70 out and I will bring the '71.

:) That's cool. The new Callenger is a nice car but they torque manage the engine so much that it's just not the same as an old muscle car. The old cars were just brutal, the new cars are refined. I totally know what you're saying but if I had $44K just laying around...yeah I'd probably buy one just to have.

And what is that paint code, my Scamp is defenitely going to be painted that color.

If someone gave me $44k to spend on a car...I'd buy a '70 'Cuda.

Ha! Flattered by all the comments, but it's definitely not a show car. I beat the snot out of it every chance I get. I'm sure any pics of the '71 with my '70 would show just how beat my 'Cuda is...

Couple of other observations about the new Challenger:

-One of the most dramatic differences in driving was shifting. With the A833 4-speed, the clutch is heavy and the throw is like rowing a boat. On the other hand, you can feel exactly where the clutch engages. On the Challenger, you have a hydraulic clutch and VERY short throws-like 1/4 the distance of the 4-speed. No real feel for where the clutch engages. Also, the 6-speed gates are VERY close together, and the pattern with reverse up and far right, I was very concerned with going for 5th and putting it in reverse by mistake. You actually have to pull left and up for 1st, which is reverse on the A833, so out of habit, I kept starting in 3rd. I'm sure with time I'd get used to it.

- You can disengage the traction control.

I'd RENT a Challenger on vacation, but if I had the cash, I'd put it into building the car I really want. Wait...I'm already doing that with TurboScamp!

-
Back