Got fed up with the squareback alt

-

rednesss

Reaction score
So I finally got fed up with the squareback alternator and decided to see if I could get a newer style alternator put in. So I picked up a 120 amp alt for a 93 Dakota and with a little bracket fabbing, was able to get this installed. I also had to do some surgery on the output stud, as it was too long and poked right into the head=dead short. So I had to shorten that a bit for clearance.

2015-05-13%2015.56.13.png

This might not work for everyone as I have the March Performance pulley setup. I'm pretty happy with it, since I get about 14.2 volts while idling with the headlights on, and my electric fans going. Before I was seeing about 13 volts. I just need to pick up a slightly shorter serpentine belt to make it all perfect.

Just thought I'd share.

Thats a great upgrade, just make sure the wiring harness is up to snuff. I got a minivan 180A but the pulley is pragged and serpentine and I need a V. one day if I see a need. I currently have a low mount 45A mini off a Metro, tiny!

I have upgraded the wiring harness and did the ammeter bypass. I also eliminated the bulkhead spade connectors and just ran a wire through the bulkhead connectors. It does make it a pain if I ever need to disconnect the bulkhead connections, but it isn't prone to overheating and melting the plastic plug. I also have headlight relays and have done a bunch of other modifications to reduce the amount of juice running through the bulkhead and the ignition switch.

-
Back