GOT MY 383 finally

-

dustya_383

Reaction score
picked up my 383 on tuesday. . Get this. . its a 68 block complete carb to pan $80 now does that sound like a good deal or wat if not i dont knw wat is other than free lol. .if it couldnt get any better pulled it completely apart last night. . .SPOTLESS. . anyways since i have it apart im wanna get some machine work done.and clean up the walls and stuff . THing Is Dont Know exactly what i should do... . i want to get around 450 500+hp from it but dont want it to be a drag car. .id like to take it to a track every now and then but more of a street car. wat set up could i do to acheive my goal. .i know big blocks are real easy to get a good amount of power of. just need to be guided in the right direction and yes i have a 8 3/4 rear already installed in my 74 duster and i can keep the forged crank right???

Thats defenitly a steal, there will be lots of that going around in this struggling economy, what is your budget on this build? If you want to keep cost down, i'd just do a basic rebuild with new KB flat tops/cam & bolt-ons/Ign./tune with a nice VJ, 400 hp should be very easy to obtain from your 383, IMO, for a small BB, they really pack a punch, even stock, i've always liked the 383.

Sure, you can keep the forged crank, just have things balanced when you build it.

I'm with Joe on that. Basic rebuild proceedures will do you fine. IMO, when you start collecting parts, I would also get rods for the engine since rebuilding/straightening the ones you have now would be more expensive. Most certainly keep the forged crank.

Have the block checked out and find out the final overbore of the engine so you can order pistons for it. Once you have all the enginges rotating parts, you can have it balanced and put to the side for when your ready to assemble it.

My favorite Mopar engine 8) congrat's :cheers:

Like the guys above said plus you're looking for 10 to 1/10.5 to 1 compression so if you get the deck machined for flat (highly recommended) you'll need to take the appropriate measurements to source the correct pistons. Also you need to decide whether you're going to go with pocket porting the iron heads you've got now or go with a set of Edelbrocks for big $$$.

Terry

-
Back