got my donor roof now what?

-

trbodrt

Reaction score
Just got back from the mopar spring fling and i'm nicely sunburnt. picked up a nice non vinyle donor roof for my 72 dart. Now i just have to figure out how to put it on.

enjoy the spotweld cutting...

Best thing is to use a grinder to cut the old spots out where you can and drill the rest. Be careful not to go too far with the grinder and start killing the substructure. You aren't saving the panels so who gives a crap about what it looks like when removed.

I went below the lead filled seam on mine... Just used the skin also. Drilling the spot welds is the worst of it.. Go back and look at my restoration thread and you can see how I did it. Not saying its the right way but it worked good for me. Good luck.

So true about the spot welds!! You have to drill them on the donor roof and the project car. I did my 68 Dart last summer. Rotton vinyl roofs........

That's what i was thinking as far as drilling out the spot welds but going below the factory seam on the C-pillar and above on the A-pillar, I won't have to worry about burning out the lead and re-filling it.

That's what i was thinking as far as drilling out the spot welds but going below the factory seam on the C-pillar and above on the A-pillar, I won't have to worry about burning out the lead and re-filling it.

Exactly what I did..

Start "measurin" and "cuttin"! Make it look something like this.........

DSC01141.jpg

DSC01140.jpg

DSC01131.jpg

-
Back