Got my paint!!

-
I admire you for taking the painting and body work on yourself. I asked a auto painter (he's good) about painting my car and he said it would take around 5 months and it would cost $5 to $6 thousand to paint it.

Well thanks. I started sanding in January. My Wife says I get obsessed when I start a project. But I didn't work on it all the time.But I wanted to get it painted before My engine was done and it just so happens I got the call yesterday. I'll pickup my engine tommarrow.Then finish putting it together and drop it in. But first I've got a day Saturday buffing it out.
My body man friend told me anyone can paint a car but the real work and looks come from everything under the paint. Makes sense to me.I did get one small run in the clearcoat on the lower quarter panel but I think it will buff out.
Thought I'd show you all the before and after pictures too.
THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT AND HELP SO FAR!

duster 001 (Small).jpg

duster 091 (Small).jpg

Well thanks. I started sanding in January. My Wife says I get obsessed when I start a project. But I didn't work on it all the time.But I wanted to get it painted before My engine was done and it just so happens I got the call yesterday. I'll pickup my engine tommarrow.Then finish putting it together and drop it in. But first I've got a day Saturday buffing it out.
My body man friend told me anyone can paint a car but the real work and looks come from everything under the paint. Makes sense to me.I did get one small run in the clearcoat on the lower quarter panel but I think it will buff out.
Thought I'd show you all the before and after pictures too.
THANKS FOR THE SUPPORT AND HELP SO FAR!

Yeah he said 5 months because he has to work on the cars in his shop which isn't muscle cars. Got to keep the money coming in. Most painters put the muscle cars and hot rods on the back burner because it takes alot of body work most of the time to get them straight. That is if you take it somewhere like that but there is places that will stay on a car and get it done. It's kind of who you know I guess.

Your friend is 100% correct.

Your car looks good! It will look better after you buff it. Are you going to color sand it?

what are you going to use the protect the paint when dropping in the engine? Or are you going to go from under?

Color sand it????
Drop the engine in from the top. Very Carefully!!And lay old blankets on the sides.
I'll post more pictures later.w/stripes and scoops/wing too

Color sand it????
Drop the engine in from the top. Very Carefully!!And lay old blankets on the sides.
I'll post more pictures later.w/stripes and scoops/wing too

A friend of mine had his 73 cuda painted using base/clear. After it was cleared and cured he sanded it with a block of wood about 1" or so wide wrapped in sand paper. I think he started off with 800 grit and worked his way up to 1500. You sand the whole car then buff it.

Maybe this will shed some light: http://www.secondchancegarage.com/public/737.cfm

Pic of his car.

Spring water festival 012.jpg

-
Back