got ripped by Indy Cylinder Head

-

66dartman

Reaction score
Went to Mopars at the strip last year in Vegas and Indy had a booth there. They had about 10 sets of the Indy SIR small block rods, new in the box, for $110.00. I asked why so cheap and was told by some big fat ***hole that they were overstocked and that was why. Not a very nice guy if you know what I mean. I bought them and brought them home. Last weekend I took them out of the box to check them and mock the engine up. Well, the cap was machined wrong for the bearing tang by .100", making the lower shell stick out and take up all the side clearance of the rod. Then I called Indy and was told that they had seen that before but that was a long time ago. They wouldn't do anything about it. Anyway, sorry for the long drawn out but buyer beware from Indy Cylinder Head. If I am stuck buying anything else from them I'm switching to Chevy.

I know it's been a while but it may be worth a try calling the better business bureau. There usually pretty good about following up on things. This just isn't right. Ripping people off like that.

They might be there again this year. You could 'return' them in some dramatic fashion or carry a sign around that tells the story or we could each go by and relay the story to them.

Dave

I can tell you they were at Carlisle this year and the guy I talked to was very ignorant in my opinion. He acted like we were bothering him and he kept saying the Eddy heads were just stock heads. Guess he didn't like it when I said they were still cheaper then the EZ heads ! Ron

Sorry for the hijack but got to say I love 383man's Fury. I've always wanted to build a sleeper and that Bad Boy certainly qualifies. I'd love to see the look on those rice rocket rookies when that fury blows them off at the lights.

P.S. I like stomping rice rockets to.

P7280003 (Custom).JPG

What really pi**ed me off was their attitude. I plan on being at the Vegas Mopar show again this year and I will give them a piece of my mind. If they would have told me the rods were rejects than I would not have bought them at any price. We have a choice in this industry and thier attitude will be thier downfall.

If they were made worng, they can be corrected easily, but they should have told you why they were being "dumped". It may be that the dude at the show didnt know why they were there, he was just told "get rid of them". No excuse for not being respectable to a customer tho. As far as heads go, they are correect in that the Edelbrock heads are factory based, and either the SR or SREZ is a better head, designed with higher performance in mind. The edelbrocks are a step up from factory, but only a small step. The Indy heads are a larger leap, you just have to be aware that with both of them, the finishing work stinks. But again, no excuse for poor customer relations. I think these guys firmly believe part of being a salesman is being so much better than the guy standing in front of him.

At the Indy show we went to buy some stuff from the Indy Cylinder head booth. We talked to Ken or should I say we tried. He acted like he didnt have time to talk to anyone who wasnt dropping 10k or more. He answered our questions with a simple answer and no other info or advice was given.
So, we went to Mancini booth and bought all our stuff. I do how ever like their heads but selling stuff they know is wrong sized is BS!! They should take the rods back and give you new ones w/o any questions. Good Luck :thumblef:

I also had a bad exsperience with the indy guys when they were in houston, they look & talk to you like your a dumb as^#$, i garauntee they new exactly what were wrong with those rods, and that by the time you figured it out, they would be in another state :wack:

I was thinking about Indy heads for my next project, untill I heard similar run-ins. Seems everything is a big secret also. I suspect they'll be out of bussiness in the near future.

[ If I am stuck buying anything else from them I'm switching to Chevy.[/QUOTE]

That's not even funny! Take that back!!! :)

No matter how much trouble I have with my car I'll never go to chevy! :)

No but seriously, Take that back!!!!

LOL

Indy does plenty of business, and they do fill a niche in the market..Several really. I agree, the customer service is 2nd rate, and the products do usually need some massaging, but really, the level of engine that can make use of their stuff, should need some tweaking anyway. Edelbrocks are no better in terms of quality control. I'll be interested to see how things go when the new Edelbrock Victor B engine heads arrive on scene and compete directly with them.

don't think I would go to chevy, mopar is in my blood. But that is how strongly I feel about an outfit that has poor customer service. And Indy better think about it. Really, as hard on the wallet as it is to run a mopar over a chevy, when you have people like indy who screw with you on top of it, what would keep someone who is not brand loyal from going the easy chevy route?

I also had a "great" experance with Indy. But if it wasn't for them building these products(showing that there is a market to be tapped). You would not have any of the choices you now have. Just like Eagle with there rods. Only then did the bigger players step up.
I would not shun the products but I would go through a dealer i trusted,It woun't cost you any more price wize. And you wouldn't have to deal with the bad personallty.
Also guys If the price sounds to good to be true, it is.

Jim

I bought the 360-1 head kit a couple years ago and I agree trying to talk to any of the Indy guys at the Vegas event was near impossible and they do have attitude! If I was to do it again I would go Edelbrock or Mopar heads just to not support those guys.

I felt like I got the cold shoulder because I had a small block, but maybe they treat all their customers the same??

Well, I did get a chance to speak my mind to Russ Flagle, the owner of Indy at the Vegas show. He had nothing to say, I didn't expect anything anyway.
Feels good to tell someone off though.

I also have had a bad experiance with these guys. The nationals at Houston last year. The guys were just straight up rude and treated you like you were dumb. I will never switch from Mopar, but I will never buy any thing from Indy. One thing we can all do is e-mail the crap out of them and let them know they are loosing customers day after day. :salut:

I too have had several bad experiences with Indy personel. Last year at Vegas and several times over the phone. I do no plan on doing buisiness with them anytime in the near future.
And Ya, the heavy set guy was rude!

I guy that does my motors hates indy heads . i said to him one day that iam going to take my heads over to indy . oh man i thought he was going to kill me . after he came back down to earth, he said he makes a better head then indy does. and you know what he does the heads on my car are great. and at half the price............. cast or aluminum he don't care. and once you get him talking you can 't get him to stop............. he's a head god to me :notworth: :notworth: :notworth:

"The edelbrocks are a step up from factory, but only a small step".

As compared to what? Define "small step".....

-
Back