Got shafted my Machine Shop/Parts Store?

-

blackace

The KING of flats
Reaction score
I brought my Yukon axles over to my local Parts Store / Machine shop. I wanted new studs pressed on and green bearings that I bought installed. I am converting the rear to disk and wanted a set of rotors machined that needed to fit the center hub on the axles. Not much work, maybe an hours worth. Well I went to go pick everything up the other day and they charged me $200 for labor in machine work.

I was in a rush and has my kids with me and didn't really think about the bill until I started driving home. How long do you guys think press ten studs, install two bearings and machine the center of two rotors?

You had three different activities performed each of which has a set up time along with the actual time to do the work. I would guess you were changed for 3 hours work with approximately 1/2 of it associated with setting up and machining the rotors. That's about $66/hour which is a reasonable rate.

Shame on you for not asking for an estimate of the cost when you dropped the parts off.

Machine shops can at times be dare expensive. I had a driveline shortened and it was $100. I also had an old truck driveline parking brake band relined and it also was $100. I was thinking both would be about half what they charged but it is the way it is.

Chuck

blackace,

Just wondering if you had planned on filling your right front tire?

Bad experience at a machine shop?

Could be worse...

My former machine shop (speedomotive) made my 360 block worthless after forgetting to install vital internal oil plugs. I lost alot more then 200 bucks after having to rebuild the engine (myself this time), they only replaced the block. I had to buy new bearings, piston rings, gaskets... They also kept the heavily worn original block, I guess speed-o-motive is going to rebuild and sell it to some poor chump.

I Hade New Bearings Put On My Axles And They Charged Me 100 Bucks For That Alone. I Thought That Was A Good Deal Considering I Have No Press. I Also Had The SBB Changed To LBB And Beafed Up The Ring. This Cost Me $125.00. So Price Is Not Far Off.

Bad experience at a machine shop?

Could be worse...

My former machine shop (speedomotive) made my 360 block worthless after forgetting to install vital internal oil plugs. I lost alot more then 200 bucks after having to rebuild the engine (myself this time), they only replaced the block. I had to buy new bearings, piston rings, gaskets... They also kept the heavily worn original block, I guess speed-o-motive is going to rebuild and sell it to some poor chump.
Dust - Had the same thing happen years ago. Turned out the guy that assembled the engine was a Chevy numbnuts and didn't know about the internal plugs on my 340 block. I ended up spinning a rod bearing that really chewed up the forged crank - both of the bearing halves split and crossed into each other. It was ugly.
But then again I have my own stupid story of breaking my original 340 block.

Welcome to the world of restoring cars..it is'nt cheap!! $200.00 is'nt a bad price for the services you received,if they're done correctly..

$200 is not a bad price for what you had done. Setting up the machines takes time.

Lot of overhead in a machine shop and nobody works for free. Stay with the same shop and sometimes they pass on little things and it evens out. My machinist ended up being one of my best friends,

Well after reading everything I guess the price isn't to bad then.

Dave is right I should have asked about prices before. I have had engine work done before but nothing ever like this.

-
Back