got tree trash in the crawl vent ..help

-

clairday modtop

there's no car like mopar
Reaction score
how do i get the tree trash out from the crawl vent. leaves and stuff from siting under a tree.:read2:

Open the fresh air vents and reach up thru the opening and pull some out, or use a air hose with a extension tube to blow most of it out thru the air vents.

Same problem. Every time I open the air boxes I get pine nettles on my feet. I think the drivers side is only 3 bolts so I'm going to pull mine and clean above it. A souvenir from 41 years of running up and down 285 thru Bailey, Co.

Don't park under a tree. :lol: not sure which is worse sun damage or leaf/rust... :(
I've seen that magnetic sign stuff used to keep the cowl closed off, and/or plexi glass with toggle bolts to hold it to the grate

Those methods mentioned work but there will always be remnants left. The last of it can be removed by flushing with water through the drain holes on both ends by hood hinges. I always use a piece of wire with a hook on the end to remove anything that gets stuck on the drain hole. Keep flushing till totally cleaned out. Medicineman

Looks like a lot of different ways to clean out this space. One thing for sure is to be sure it is CLEAN before you have it painted. As a painter I can tell you that Cowl area is the #1 place for contamination to hide and will end up in your paint job.

If you are going to paint it, pull the fenders and go thru the drain holes at either end. You would be suprised how much crud will pack in there.. sorta like my ex's purse. Damn thing was a lethal weapon if she swung it.

If the drians in the cowl are filled the drians at the bottom of the fender may be filled also. 2 body bolts underneath to remove and you can pull outward on the bottom of the fender which helps. If you have the rocker moulding that extends onto the fender... good luck.

I used the garden hose method, using a finger to to change the spray from vertical to horizontal, into the drain hole. A few minutes of water blasting got it out.

For those of you that have painted their cars, how did you prep the cowl vents and the panel below it? Can the panel be removed? How do you sand in there? Blast it with baking soda? :dontknow:

Rob
Vehicle: '67 cuda

i'll be pulling my fenders to clean it. sounds like the beast wat to get it all out. :read2:

it can't be sanded and can't access it on any A body. Its removable on my pickup but not A bodies. Just paint as best you can through the slots after a thorough cleanout with water hose and wire through the drains. If you leave that junk in there long enough it will rust out the bottom of that plenum chamber(the proper name for that cavity). It must remain clean to avoid that junk staying wet and causing that to rust out. Then water can leak through the plenum chamber and start the front floor pans to rust out by staying wet every time it rains. Use any combination of above methods. Medicineman

-
Back