Gotta love this SS/GA Dart

-

BigEdsGarage

Reaction score
I love this thing! How about the flat 340 hood with no scoop and chrome bumpers! 340 power baby, planting the bars and looking at stars! YeeeeHa
lodrs7-6_10.jpg

0444-2512.jpg

SWEEEEEEET :bounce: Wish my Demon could do that. And look that good too :drunken:

BigEdsGarage said:
.... planting the bars and looking at stars!
lodrs7-6_10.jpg

0444-2512.jpg

NICE DART! Ya `no.... sometimes less IS more! I agree, the flat hood looks killer...

SURPRISE!
That SS/GA '68 Dart is a 440!
Despite the limited production, they are legal in SS just like the Hemis!

But its a 68 and the 440 wasnt factory installed. You had to get one from Mr.Norms.

I can't fully explain it either, but NHRA has it listed in their classification guide.
http://www.nhra.com/tech_specs/classification/classfiles/1968DOD.xls

It comes in at 9.01 lbs per hp. "G" is 9.0 - 9.49.
A 340 is 10.51. 10.00 through 10.99 fall intp "I".

They even have a 440 Dart convertible listed! :dontknow:
Some weird stuff got slipped into NHRA over the years and somebody finds these unusual combos/loopholes from time to time!

Wow! I thought for sure it would be a 340 since many F/SA cars are small block A-Bodies. I guess its a bit different for SS cars? Oh well, I'll just pretend its a tach busting small block and keep drooling over it anyway.

Myron, whats the major competition (vehicle type/model) in SS/G, or even G/S? Don't recall seeing many cars fall into that catagory.

Ed,

The way the formulas work, Stock and SS don't put the same combos in the same letter catagory.

SS/GA would have 440 6 pack cars in bigger, heavier vehicles, like E and B bodies. But like Challengers and Cudas, you usually see the 440-6 cars in SS/F(A). One can add weight to move down a class into SS/G(A). G/SA usually has early '70's A-bodies against some small block Camaros, depending on HP rating.

Not sure about all the "other" brands at the moment.
This does change from time to time when a particular combo gets "factored" and has HP added to their rating and possibly bumped up a class (i.e.: H to G) when someone figures out how to get it VERY fast under the index. NHRA has a (controversial) formula to determine that too. Some combos can also get HP taken off by lobbying NHRA and proving that it is over-rated to be competitive against other like-classed cars.

Cool car nonetheless! Definitely different.

Any idea what it cost to put one together like that? It would be nice to see more detailed pics of the car like the underside and the rear tube. A 68 DQ 440 Dart may be my next build as i have 90% of what i need so details would be nice.
Small Block

440...under a flat hood...now thats stealth baby.....gotta love it.....and the car is not bad either...lol.....

Any idea what it cost to put one together like that? It would be nice to see more detailed pics of the car like the underside and the rear tube. A 68 DQ 440 Dart may be my next build as i have 90% of what i need so details would be nice.
Small Block
Having built a car similar to it, I would say it would take $75k at least, just an educated guess.

-
Back