Gov't to stop 'cash for clunkers"

-
I thought about getting in on this. I figured I might as well get soemthing out of all the government giveaways since I didn't qualify for anything else. I've got a 95 Full size van I would have traded in. I could have gotten a new caliber for $4,000 out of pocket. The problem is I need the van so I would have had to replace it(my boss is selling a high mileage truck for $500) But then I would have 5 vehicles(six if you count the kids scooter) and I would need to pay for storage for at least two of them.

The problem with that is there are no such thing as "government giveaways." There's no free lunch. Everyone pays for it.

Now the government will have to refund the advertiseing dollars to the dealers who ran the ads through midnight Thursday. Last night the local news covered the suspension story then went to one of those commercials .LOL

Yeah I saw a few of those commercials last night and was wondering about that. Ford was one of them. I guess they have the "carpet yanked from under you" feeling today.

Some of the dealerships were offering a matching $4500 on top of the cfc incentive. I'm actually bummed we sold our 92 taurus 3 months ago for $1000. I could have got $9000 for that pos and put it toward something reliable. (before you get on my case about driving a taurus, it was a hand-me-down from my wife's grandmother).

I work at a dealer and we have been having problems with CARS since before it even started. Now we have 25 vehicles in the back that we gave $4500 each for. Thats $112,500 that we're out and the CARS website is suddenly shut down and they wont answer their phones. It's causing lots of problems. For a small dealer like we are, that much money is a ton. We have sold over 85 cars this month and theres still today. We are trying for 90. We have only hit 70 once in the past 13 months. So this is good for us.

Some of the cars we have had traded for CARS are pretty nice. There is a very nice late 90's 4Runner with no rust and less than 100K, its sad. We also have a late 90's jeep with a 4.0 and lote of others. The agreement with the gove. was that we have to crush the bodies and engines. But we can keep tires and wheels and other small parts.

4000 goes into 1,000,000,000 2.5 million times. :) Unless the dealers/government are misplacing a zero somewhere, there should still be plenty of dough left.

That's was my thoughts to, Thank you ramcharger :cheers:

Now the government will have to refund the advertiseing dollars to the dealers who ran the ads through midnight Thursday. Last night the local news covered the suspension story then went to one of those commercials .LOL
Seen that here to RedFish.

I work at a dealer and we have been having problems with CARS since before it even started. Now we have 25 vehicles in the back that we gave $4500 each for. Thats $112,500 that we're out and the CARS website is suddenly shut down and they wont answer their phones. It's causing lots of problems. For a small dealer like we are, that much money is a ton. We have sold over 85 cars this month and theres still today. We are trying for 90. We have only hit 70 once in the past 13 months. So this is good for us.

Some of the cars we have had traded for CARS are pretty nice. There is a very nice late 90's 4Runner with no rust and less than 100K, its sad. We also have a late 90's jeep with a 4.0 and lote of others. The agreement with the gove. was that we have to crush the bodies and engines. But we can keep tires and wheels and other small parts.
Save some of the 4.0 jeep motors and trash a motor from a ricer :-D

Save some of the 4.0 jeep motors and trash a motor from a ricer :-D

X2! I could use that 4.0! 8) The thing is, if I had an engine I could freshen up I'd use less gas and oil and it would pollute less.

Just another dumb govt program that's failing to everyone's detriment. C-stripes I hope your dealership gets reimbursed.

How could you take a 4.0L? That's what I have and they won't take it because it gets 18mpg+!

On a side note, how are they ever going to get Health Care to work if they cant even sell a few cars right in less then a month! Fail!

I'd break that agreement.... Sell the cars for more than 4,500 to make up the difference....

4000 goes into 1,000,000,000 2.5 million times. :) Unless the dealers/government are misplacing a zero somewhere, there should still be plenty of dough left.

I thought I heard there was about 16,000 new car dealers in the US. This may or may not be correct.

But, this kind of puts it into perspective as a Billion dollars spread across that many dealers is not that much.

As you can see below if the average trade in was $4,000 then there could only be 250,000 vouchers and with SUPPOSEDLY 16,000 new car dealers then that is only 16 vouchers/new cars sold per dealer.

CARS Program1,000,000,000 AVG Tade IN 4,000 Possible Trade Ins 250,000 # of Dealers16,000 Potential Cars perDealer 16

1984 and newer only for cash for clunkers. They left out the old cars specifically because of the car hobby! Pretty much everything built after 73 is junk anyways so let them squish it! Thats just my opinion but what do I know :-D

What about the Magnums? The Jeep 4.0 L6? If Gov want to save the "economy" they should start crushing hondas toyotas and other imports and making domestic cars the way they were, keeping imports away!

There is no way you could get $4500 out of these cars. I guess the extended it last night, but they could call at anytime and say stop. We have a pile of Ford trucks. There are a few Jeeps. And lots of other stuff. I bet 10 of the 30 that we have now are Ford trucks. Kind of funny if you ask me.

As far as getting rid of all the Toyotas and Hondas, someone needs to make quality cars. the US car makers sure aren't. I feel bad for all the American Auto workers, it's not their fault. Its all the CEO's and stuff that sit there and watch the money come in and want to cut costs so they can pad thier wallets. They all should be fired and let the little guys that actually have done the work and care about quality step in. Then maybe the American car company could make a come back.

All American car companies could learn allot form Toyota. Hate them or not. The company is very strong and knows how to do business and build quality. Bash them all you want. The truth is that they are very dependable cars and that alone is the reason that they are taking over.

Also, like stated before, I work at a small dealer that has a normal inventory of 275-300 cars. That's used and new. New Toyota, Scion, and Honda. Used whatever. This month alone we had sold 96 cars at the time I left today. We hadn't hit even 70 in 13 months. The GM dealer across the street sold about 25 cars.

This was a joke.:angry7: They are trying to put band aids on major wounds. The charities are feeling it already here. No donated cars.

From what I read the government was stunned by how quickly people traded in there cars and was alarmed when I believe it was a million had disappeared from the programs funding in less then a week. This is why they repealed the program. The program was just a way to shovel money out the backdoor into who knows who's pockets.

From what I read the government was stunned by how quickly people traded in there cars and was alarmed when I believe it was a million had disappeared from the programs funding in less then a week. This is why they repealed the program. The program was just a way to shovel money out the backdoor into who knows who's pockets.

Oh yeah.:angry7:

-
Back