Grandma's 73 Gold Duster

-

guitargrl

1973 Gold Duster
Reaction score
Hi everyone! I'm new to the forum and I just want to say that I have really enjoyed reading everyone's threads and comments. There is a lot of great information here.

I recently inherited my Grandma's 1973 Gold Duster with the space Duster package. It has literally been sitting in her driveway for 20 years under a car cover. I'm working on restoring it. I hope you all like the pics and I'll try to keep you updated as often as I can. If you have any tips or recommendations, please don't hesitate to let me know! This is my first project.

Thanks,

Misty

Welcome,
Post in the parts wanted section on here, somebody will have one.

Welcome aboard this great site, we have the best of the best tec's and great folks here to help us along :thumbrig:
I keep a look out in the Parts Wanted forum allot :sunny: just in case I have a part to give a new home, so post this info in the parts wanted :cheers:
Jump on in and enjoy Misty

Welcome to FABO. That'll be a great little project. You should have no trouble locating a used filler neck in decent shape.

Welcome!

The Space Duster takes a different filler neck than standard too, so keep that in mind when you're looking. The filler neck is different because of the fold down seat.

Still, as others suggested, put a post in the "parts wanted" section. I seem to recall seeing one for sale recently.

Misty, Near me is a radiator shop that also works with gas tanks - they clean them out and use a special paint to coat the inside. When they done my tank, they cleaned and coated the inside of the filler tube also.

If you want to DIY, I think you can get that stuff from Eastwood.
This is if you cannot find a new or clean used tube.
And as stated, we want to see pics!
C

Welcome aboard Misty!

Parts turn up...just gotta be paitent and keep looking :)

Welcome from N. C. and enjoy the best mopar site on the web. Love the dusters and had a sweet 74 until last spring. Good luck.

Misty,
First off, welcome from another Missourian!
If your filler neck isn't too rusty, you can clean the rust out by soaking it in vinegar. If it's too rusty you will have some pinholes after the soak. I've done 2 this way so far. One turned out ok, the other one was bad.
Dallas

Well, I ended up taking it to a muffler shop and they cut the bottom 4" off and welding a new end on. Then we sandblasted it and cleaned up the weld and dipped it in Red Kote. Got it put back in the tank and gassed her up. I had already done most of the engine prep while waiting for the new gas tank to arrive. Once the filler neck was done we were able to start it and drive it down the road for the first time since it was parked so many years ago. So far I have done the following :
Plugs and wires
Fuel pump
Pcv valve
Electronic Ignition module
Replaced all vacuum hoses
Fuel filter
Air filter
Fuel tank
Sending unit
Filler neck seal (floor of trunk)
Filler neck to tank gasket

Thank you all so much for the warm welcome, I'm going to attempt to post a pic and in the next couple of days I'll post plenty more.

Misty

-
Back