Granny's Dart GT

-

wcelliot

Reaction score
Back in late 1966, my Grandmother was ready to buy her first new car. Her oldest son was the local Dodge dealer (near the Wilkesboro speedway!) and had a leftover '66 Dart sedan he was holding for her.

She arrived on the day that he was getting his first '67 Dart... an early production car that he had ordered to sit in the showroom to generate interest in the 'sporting potential'. Dart Gt, red (no vinyl top), black, console, buckets, 273-4/auto, mag wheel covers, am radio, shoulder belts!, but manual steering and drum brakes.

So he sold it to her at invoice... the only change being swapping out the loud factory exhasut for a stock 273-2 one. It sat beside her flower garden at her farm from 1967-1994, always lisenced and only driven the the supermarket and church. Every Mother's Day the car got a full service and detail and in 1977 got a respray at the dealership.

There were usually twin black marks on the road in front of her house "it's a little cold blooded... you just have to give her the gas to make her go!"

I got it in 1994 (Granny bought a new Buick) with 39k on it. I Sunday drove and showed it for a few years until I rubbed down through the paint, then I parked it (starting it routinely) for about 5 years, trying to decide whether to just respray it and keep it as original as possible or do a more complete restoration. On closer examination this fall (after my Grandmother's death), there was more extensive rust than I was aware of, so we're doing the more complete resto by default.

I'm not generally a purist, but I don't want to do anything that would obviously hurt the car's appeal. (For instance I would likely respray in a urethane instead of the original paint to better protect the body, but I wouldn't usually use base/clear).

As I'm going though everything (brakes, suspension, etc) are there any places that I should improve the car unobtrusively? Or just use NOS/NORS for everything? I appreciate the input.

http://fnader.com/DartGT

Bill
ps... before her death, we asked Granny what she thought about the Buick versus the Dodge. She said the Buick was "real comfortable" but it just didn't have the b*lls the Dart did!!!

Hi there!

This is a masterpiece to start out with! Try to get the ordinary stuff in NOS and a nice paintjob on it and you will have a nice cruiser with a value potential in it too.

Cool car with a cool story. If you just want to look at it I would restore it to stock, if you want to drive it a fair bit I would upgrade to front discs, keep the original parts in case you or anyone else ever wants to put it back. I have a 65 Stang convertible that I did that too, wife drove it a lot and I didn't want her to kill herself with those brakes, or lack of brakes. :thumbup:

Its a nice looking car. I would try to keep it as original as possible.

wcelliot welcome.This is a great car from the family and like most have said here
I to would up grade the brakes and keep it as factory.
Your granny sound like she was a winner :thumbup:

merkel1.jpg

Thanks for the kind remarks... yep my Grandmother was just about one of a kind.

I see that everyone is saying to upgrade the brakes... is the conversion easy to do while keeping the standard 14" rims? I thought most of the conversion packages out there (Scarebird, etc) needed 15's. I assume finding the correct disc setup would be an expensive proposition?

I really want to keep the mag hubcaps, which means staying with 14's. (Though I'd sure like to find a set of 5.5" rims to be able to put a little more rubber on it.)

Thanks again... I'll put together a webpage of the resto efforts... currently I only have some shots of the disassembly and some initial rust repair.

Bill

Sounds like Granny was a pretty cool `ol girl! I'd loose the Chevelle, er...I mean "Dodge" wheel covers and go with dog dishes. Re-spray her the original red, and put that loud dual exhaust back in and drive her with love.

Very cool car, but the story that goes with it is even cooler.

Nice car as is, keep that slight "sleeper" look if you can. The wheel covers looks awesome!

You can get 5.5" 14" steel wheels, with 4" bolt pattern no problem. Most people call them the 340 wheels. They might be getting scarce and pricey, but they're out there. They were also available on 273-4 barrel Formula S Barracudas, I'm surprised your car doesn't already have them?

I'd recommend small bolt pattern Kelsey Hayes 4-piston disc brakes. They are true to the car, true to the era, made by Mopar and will bolt right on. You can read all about your brake options here -> http://www.enbcom.com/cuda/tech/tom_condran/index.html

and here -> http://www.enbcom.com/cuda/tech/kh_70manual/index.html

Thanks much for the info; I'll do some research on the brakes. From the driving I've done, the drum brakes are at best "adequate".

I agree they look somewhat like "Chevelle" wheel covers... because I also have a set on my wife's '67 Corvair vert. (Corvairs are very very sensitive to unsprung weight... steels and mad caps are scarey heavy... and I run Minilites on my Corsa coupe, but the mag covers seen approriate for the 'vert). Since I've always known them on this car (and only very very rarely see them on other Mopars) I definitely want to keep them.

Why doesn't my car already have 5.5 rims? Not really sure. It was a very early production '67. Maybe that made a difference? But also when the car was painted in '76 it got radials for the first time. Possibly my uncle's dealership swapped rims at the time?

Original exhaust wasn't dual... large bore "open" single.

Thanks again!
Bill

I really like those "Mag"wheel covers.
Would love to have a set for my -67 Fastback

You got a really nice car there keep it so much original as you can,there are`nt many left.
Iam restoring two 67 dart gt whith only 12 win appart.And one of them is this red one ,and i really want Magtype wheelcovers.

1darten11.JPG

-
Back