Grease

-

Lost Bushman

Rich with Anti-Money
Reaction score
As I was assembling the bottom end of my 360 last Saturday, and my cousin comes over and starts pitchin a fit about using white lithium grease to assemble the lower end, (Mains and rod bearings). Especially about putting the stuff on both sides of the bearing during install inside and out. I've build three 4.0 Jeep motors and an 318 using this exact same process. He claims it to be the worst thing I could do and that I should be using plain oil...

Is it?

I always used Lubriplate Assembly Grease. Looks like white lithium but is supposed to melt & turn into oil when the engine runs. At least that's what they told us in shop class 30 some years ago. They used to say you could also use a 50/50 mix of STP and oil. I've never put anything on the back side of the bearings though. Only on the "bearing" side.

Nothing should go betweent he bearing shells and thier respective bores. I use a mix of straight 30 and white lithium for mine if the engine is destined to sit for a while. Otherwise, the red assembly lube is what I use.

Nothing should go betweent he bearing shells and thier respective bores. I use a mix of straight 30 and white lithium for mine if the engine is destined to sit for a while. Otherwise, the red assembly lube is what I use.

Damn. Well, the motor is going to be a resident of the stand at least until June or July. One of my 4.0's has 270K on it now with no real issues, is straight white lithium really that bad? Especially between the bearings and caps?:pale:

I always wiped off the backside of the bearing shell and cap/block with brake cleaner, and used STP oil treatment on the bearing/journel. Best to leave the back side clean and dry to help keep the bearing in it's position during break-in, but I don't know if that theory actually holds water. It was something that I have always done.

George

-
Back