Great Stuff expanding foam

-

Mopar-Man

Big Block Better Burnout
Reaction score
Beware of the black can! Go big or go home may have got me in trouble this time. How long before this stuff stops expanding? It grows like The Blob.

We are using some on a project right now. We started out with the "small crack filler" but stepped up to the "big gap" can on the second round. Quite a difference!

Naw.
I thought I might be able to use it for that packing foam shippers use.
On the cheep since the real stuff cost money and you have to buy big quantities.
I put in in a garbage bag and tried it.
It didn't expand enough.
Not even close.

pck4_IMG0001.jpg

Was the bag sealed up immediately? It requires moisture to activate. We sprayed the parts we are using with water first and had no trouble with it expanding...a lot.

Was the bag sealed up immediately? It requires moisture to activate. We sprayed the parts we are using with water first and had no trouble with it expanding...a lot.

Hum.
that's good to know.
I just squirted and put the bag in the box.
So air may have to get to it.
makes sense.

I deal with this stuff fairly frequently in my industry and it's much more complex than just expanding foam believe it or not.

If you want a foam that will fill a void and not expand too greatly than go with door and window. If you want something with a little more expansion or strength than use gap and crack.

Just to expand on what I said last night.

The door and window foam has a very low expansion strength. This is used around doors and windows that way the foam will expand to fill the void but it will not push the doors or window out of alignment when it is fully expanded. The gap and crack will expand until the void is filled and will apply more pressure than food and window.

-
Back