Great writeup on Dynamic Compression

-
No it is standard protocol. At least "for me". I've been using the degree wheel + a compression gauge since I was 18. If I get cranking pressure what I think is a little low, I advance the cam 2* degrees and check. Repeat if necessary. Of course, getting "too far" out and you KNOW you've made a "bad choice".

It SHOULD be a standard protocol, but some guys do things in a haphazard way.

IIRC at a 105 ICL it pumped 175. I could roll it back to 103 (where Jim initially said to install it...then he found out I had a gear drive and he had me go in at 105) and pick up another 10 psi or so. Or, I could do what I was originally going to do and put a .039 gasket under the heads. That would put me at exactly 11.25:1 which is where I milled the domes down to.

Thought I had the .039 gaskets on the shelf. I didn't. Had the thicker ones. So I said screw it and put it together.

175 with 11:1 iron head.
Seems you are not in detonation zone.
Lots to think about.
I'd also like to see that thread :)

That article never said anything about iron vs aluminum head either. I know Dave Hughes says 165 for iron head and I believe 190 or 200 on aluminum. I sometimes wonder how big of a difference the head conductivity difference really makes.

Whole other discussion
right Yellow Rose
IMHO chamber makes more difference
most comparisons are with an old chamber iron head vs a modern AL
try the comparison with a late 318-360 LA or Magnum Or aftermarket Iron and Aluminum

-
Back