Green bearing snap rings?

-

Turbo440Dart

crank runner over-er
Reaction score
So recently (and by accident) I noticed a fair amount of side to side play on the p/s axle. Car has moser axles (theyre old, 2nd hand) took it apart tonight and noticed there's no snap ring on the bearing for the retainer plate to butt up to. Anyone know where I can get the correct snap ring?

First photo is with the axle pushed in, 2nd you can see the bearing sticking passed the retaining plate.

20220411_005500.jpg

20220411_005452.jpg

wasn't there two types of green bearings? one had the snap ring which is the better of the two and the other without a snap ring which is the one that gave green bearing a bad name because of failures..

wasn't there two types of green bearings? one had the snap ring which is the better of the two and the other without a snap ring which is the one that gave green bearing a bad name because of failures..
Yes. Some of the early green bearings had the plate crimped to hold the bearing.

My guess is if you unbolt the axel retainer you will find the snap ring behind the retainer plate. It will either be on the outer part of the bearing or broken.

Can not say I liked that method of retention. Not sure why it can not be retained like Ford 9 inch, outer race sandwiched between the housing end and the retainer. Some machining on the housing flange and a shim made to make a square flange in the inside???

If all else fails McMaster Carr

I have purchased just the snap rings from DR. Diff in the past . He can fix you up.

I bet Currie right around the corner in corona will have them.

This, you need to pull the the axle and see what you have. You can't add the snap ring to the crimped version.

If the axles are old it’s possible you have the 1st generation of green bearings that didn’t have snap rings. If that’s the case you’ll have to replace the bearings if you want the snap rings. And if you have end play in one of the axles it’s possible you need to replace the bearings anyway.

-
Back