green vs taper axle bearing

-

Landon

76 340 Duster
Reaction score
R aftermarket axles machined to fit the green bearings or do the tapered and green bearings have the same inner diameter so u can use either or on a standard pair of 8 3/4 axles?

Are you sure because I keep seeing the aftermarkets say "for use with green bearings"

Correct. Some of the aftermarket axles can not be used with tapered bearings. One brand in particular if I remember correctly. I bought my axles from Dr. Diff, they can be used with either one.

Factory axles can also use either style bearing.

When ordering green bearing for factory axles all I need is the kit with green bearings there is only one bearing kit available just that simple huh. Thanks for any help sorry not trying to hijack the tread

What the hell is the difference? The inside bore of the bearing has to be the same for both tapered and green. Thats what I don't understand. How can there be a difference if they will both work on a factory axle?

What the hell is the difference? The inside bore of the bearing has to be the same for both tapered and green. Thats what I don't understand. How can there be a difference if they will both work on a factory axle?

I was thinking the same thing.

The problem isn't the bearing.

Many aftermarket 8.75" axles are not machined to the correct length for use with OEM adjustable wheel bearings. The tolerances must be much tighter for this type of bearing.

Axle length is not as critical with green bearings because one axle does not depend on the length of the other.

That is correct.
I ordered a pair of Moser axles & installed the tapered bearings.
The axle was too long.
Called Moser about it, they told me to grind off the end of it to get the required clearance to set the endplay.
Kinda cheesy, but I measured it & had it machined off.
I've had these axles for 18 years, no problems.

how much side load does a green bearing really take compared to a tapered bearing?

My thought exactly :coffee2: I may be wrong but the green bearing is a must have for drag racing I think :coffee2:, the tapered bearing will take more load for corning :happy1: to the top for a Tech :coffee2:

how much side load does a green bearing really take compared to a tapered bearing?
It all depends on what type of driving you do. A tapered bearing has a larger surface area to spread the side load when cornering beacause of the size of the rollers & the race. A "Green" axle bearing has ball bearings in it & has a much smaller contact surface area between the bearing & the race. If you are doing any type of road racing or you put a lot of street driven miles on your car then tapered is a much better way to go. Green bearings offer less rolling resistance & are cheaper & easier to install than tapered & if you are mainly drag racing is what they're intended for. Can you use the Green bearings on the street? Many people do without trouble, but they won't last as long as a tapered bearing will.
So it comes down to budget to install aftermarket axles & whether or not you are OK with the possibility of having to replace the bearing down the road or you want to do it once & forget about it.

Are you sure because I keep seeing the aftermarkets say "for use with green bearings"

I was stating that the axle itself will accept the green bearings without any modifications. However...........

When they say for use with Green Bearings they are talking about the Length of the axles. They are about 1/4" Shorter than stock. If you remove the button in a Sure Grip they will fit with stock axles,,, or you can take some material off the end of the axles like mentioned earlier.

I was stating that the axle itself will accept the green bearings without any modifications. However...........

When they say for use with Green Bearings they are talking about the Length of the axles. They are about 1/4" Shorter than stock. If you remove the button in a Sure Grip they will fit with stock axles,,, or you can take some material off the end of the axles like mentioned earlier.

well here's the issue i'm having. I want to order new axles from a company I found out in Colorado that sells proven axles that are bout $100 cheaper than the big axle guys. They want to know what dimensions I want the axles made to.

I have no friggin idea because not only do I want to run the tapered axle bearings but i also have a set of 11"x2.5" B-body brakes going on.

everyone talks about how there is more room from the axle tube flange to the wheel mounting flange on the B-body vs. the A-body axles.

So what do I tell this guy?

well here's the issue i'm having. I want to order new axles from a company I found out in Colorado that sells proven axles that are bout $100 cheaper than the big axle guys. They want to know what dimensions I want the axles made to.

I have no friggin idea because not only do I want to run the tapered axle bearings but i also have a set of 11"x2.5" B-body brakes going on.

everyone talks about how there is more room from the axle tube flange to the wheel mounting flange on the B-body vs. the A-body axles.

So what do I tell this guy?

Most axle company's have an order form you fill out that asks you for certain information including what brakes etc and then they build them accordingly for your particular situation. One of the questions they will be asking you is what's the Brakes "Stand Out".

-
Back