Gremlins in my Demon...........??

-

pastortom1

Reaction score
Another "little" problem.......... 'nuff to drive you to drink.......

My 340 runs and drives well, and no trouble (except for the occasional sticky throttle cable, which I just dispatched to the garbage pail).......

I'll be minding my own business, just sittin' at a car show, or inthe driveway workin' on some little details, when suddenly, I'll need to start the car.

Problem is, for some unknown reason, the starter goes dead....absolutely dead........then for some equally unknown reason, and always at different time intervals, the car will suddenly turn over again and take off just fine.

It does it generally when it's WARM, never cold or hot......just warm.

I've checked the starter connections and tweaked them.....reset the ground cables and cleaned everything........Good battery power, just no starter.

I've had trouble in the past with "dead spots" on GM starters........I'm wondering if this could be the same thing....??? NEVER had this problem, since 1970 when I started driving Mopars.....NEVER.

Dead spot? Ignition switch? (on the column.....it did "stick" the other day, then let go....)..........

What does this sound like guys?.........Any good advice from experience?

Thanks......... Doc

What year is this car? I know that mopars had problems in the early 70's with the under dash wireing which controled the charging and starting systems. The problem was at the main connecting plug at the base of the steering support bracket which runs the alt. and engine fuctions. This connector generally burns the main red and either yellow or brown wire in the cinnector, and the car will act crazy. If this is the case the grounds will be burned also and there are 6 grounds under the dash, it happened on 3 of my early 70's cars. Just a thought and maybe this will help.

Yeah, it's a '72........I've had the connector at the base of the column unplugged for restoration of the dash.......BUT, it's been working OK....don't see anything burned, but I'll check all the contacts one by one to be sure..........

It's funny about that ignition switch though...the other day it was "stuck"....I thought that the new key I had made didn't work........but finally it just let go......it was just plain stuck.....now this.....feels free now, nice and loose......but nice and loose don't start the car.

You may have to take a look at the electrical part of the ignition switch at the bottom of the steering shaft as they can get out of adjustment as the rod that actuates it comes from the key part of the switch so a simple adjustment of the bolts and sliding the switch and your done. Just another area to look at. As for the plug it generally melts it and shorts the wires together and fry's the grounds. Or it could be a grounding problem at the engine, or from the engine to the chassis.

Do you still have the original Amp dash guage in there? They cause gremlins similiar to what you're describing, although that wouldn't have anything to do with the "stuck" ignition key. :)

You don't think I'd fool around with a title like that, do ya'?

Pastors can have fun too ya' know...........and I like the idea of a Dodge "Demon" under my feet and in full submission......right where the little devil belongs.

(now if I can just control the gremlins............)

pastortom1 said:
You don't think I'd fool around with a title like that, do ya'?

Pastors can have fun too ya' know...........and I like the idea of a Dodge "Demon" under my feet and in full submission......right where the little devil belongs.

(now if I can just control the gremlins............)

Atta' boy Tom! :headbang: Demons are fairly easy - gremlins take a little more thought and searching. :)

Its either a starter relay problem or a nuetral switch problem.If you attach a test light to the soleniod wire permanent and have the light grounded solid so you can see it,it will tell you if the power is at least is getting there,if not you back track,to see where the power stops coming through.If you attach a jumper wire to the soleniod,does the starter turn over right away?So now you go to the relay to see if power is coming out of it,if not,does power come from the ignition switch and neutral switch?If you need the diagrams,I can email you them,Mrmopartech

-
Back