Grill on 71 Demon

-

stokey04964

Reaction score
Hey looking at painting the grill on my car! is that gray or silver? Hope someone has done it and recommends a good way to do it?? Thanks

I have done a few grilles.One for myself,and a couple for friends. I used the Mopar argent silver for my Duster Sharktooth grille. Then I tried a Silver aluminum paint on my buddies 70 Dart grille,it turned out looking nice.Of course not show quality,but a nice way to make it look clean and fresh! Hope this helps. Craig.

I'm also interested in hearing what paint folks have used. I'd like to try to match the repop parking light lenses for my 1970 Dart.

I believe argent silver is correct.
After scruffing and prepping, I used a plastic coat silver. I waited nearly a week for the paint to harden then taped everything leaving only the fins exposed for the black paint...I found some 1/8" pinstriping to cover the "trim" around each side of the rectangle...worked great. I used a flat black (best as it doesnt run as bad since its tough to spray between the fins). Once all done I clearcoated the whole grille. It shines more than origional but the clearcoat protects against stones and bugs and is much easier to clean. Wish I had a pic but lost them in a past computer crash.

I have restored 6-7 of these grills. The correct silver is a textured argent which totally auto inc. sells. It is pricey 25.00 a can but is the correct paint. I tape off the black areas and apply 2 very light coats of silver. hold can about 12 inches away and mist so it doesn't run and puddle up. let it dry for a few days. Go to Walmart and in the paint section they sell a purple colored masking tape which is not as sticky as as the blue and green body tape. Tape off the silver sections and paint the black parts with a satin black paint. All I use is SEM paint. I have a mint , unrestored grill for My Dart and it appears the factory used a template to paint the silver as I see traces of over spray on the black. Hope this helps.

Its called argent siver, avaliable through year one, they have the highest quality, its an eastwood paint. Order through year one though, it comes out better because they changed the paint and year one still has the better stuff from before they changed.. its like 15 for the paint and over all 48.00 but worth it.
It is the hook scoop/wheel paint.

The old stuff comes out like the ralley wheel center pieces and the new stuff comes out smooth but looks like the ralley.

-
Back