Groaning clutch pedal

-

dmoore

NO IT'S NOT RESTORED
Reaction score
When my clutch pedal is pushed in it sounds like a rusty barn door being opened...Ive lubed up all the pivot points but it still groans...Dave

It could be that big spring up under the dash. I know mine makes some noise when it is cold out.

I'm having trouble keeping the clutch rod that goes thru the firewall aligned up straight on the clutch pedal. The zbar keeps sliding towards the engine which twists the firewall rod crooked and then it makes a big snap on the pedal when it is depressed. Has anyone ever shimmed the zbar out from the eng ball stud with washers to lessen the side to side travel ? How much travel do you need for eng movement ?

It sounds like the wire clip that goes in the to the two small holes on the frame side of the z bar is missing or not hooked into the grooves in the nylon bushings, this keeps the z bar located.

Its coming back to me now. Away from this stuff for 30 years has its drawbacks. The spring was sort of round and snapped down on the bar didn't it? I don't think there is one on the bar. I wonder if you can still buy them? I'll probably have to fab something up. Thanks.

I didn't want to steal your thread dmoore. Thought this info might help you with your problem. I don't think you have a big problem there. I think most linkages squeak or groan. I believe it is like burntorange70 said. I believe it is the big return spring groaning when stretched. Both my Darts do or did this.

Yeah, I was thinking the same, maybe a lil dab of grease where the spring contacts at both ends might help......I'll try that......Dave

Your on the right track with the spring. My dart was making the same noise. Some lube on the spring made it all go away.

-
Back