Ground Issue???

-

Dizzydean

Reaction score
So I finally resolved some issues on the 67 dart. New headlight sw-cluster lights went out, found dash wasn't grounding properly so removed and ground new sw and cluster. Resolved. Replaced brakelight sw but still having an issue with the drivers side blowing the turn/brake part of the bulb. Running lights work on both and both front turns are good. I replaced the lens due to a few holes in plastic and didn't see any wires that looked like they had bare copper showing or shorting around the light area. Side note also replaced dimmer sw due to stuck plunger. Thanks for the help.

A ground problem isn't going to blow a bulb.
As a matter of fact NOTHING blows a bulb unless it is getting way to much voltage, so I think I would volt test that circuit with car running and the brakes and/or signal on.

The only other thing I can think of that blows bulbs is cold air getting to them and cracking the vacuum seal.
Like lenses not being on and such.

Might be something like a loose socket allowing the bulb to "shock" physically. You sure you have the correct bulb?

So I went to do a quick test light check and when I removed the socket the turn signal came on after like 2 seconds. When I go to plug it back in theres a small spark between the socket and the housing then the light quits. Odd it only does it on the one side running lights are good.

Turn and brake feed through the signal switch. Wonder if something is off in there....

Could there possibly be a short in the socket ?

Yes, that is likely. The bottom terminal is often on a fiber disk with a spring behind it, and an insulator. It is often possible to disassemble and check for a short. It might be the insulator dried up cracked and fell out. Might need to replace the socket.

-
Back