Ground straps go where?

-

emydemon

Reaction score
Newbie, first project- 1972 Demon 340. Bought the car with a newly rebuilt engine installed, but I want to make sure everything is grounded properly. Not going to lie, those electrical diagrams are hard to read lol. Please help!

Where should there be ground straps on the car?
Lengths?
How should I ground an aftermarket voltage regulator?

Pics of installed ground straps and their connections would be very much appreciated. :)

Thank god for Fabo!

I know 1 goes on the passenger side and attaches to the bellhousing bolt and mounts to the firewall between the blower and heater core lines.

I'm not a "resto correct" guy but basically

the main battery cable ('big one') gets grounded to the block. This is where the high current for the starter "goes."

Many other circuits are grounded to the body, so the body must be securely tied to the block and battery. I like to buy a short "starter" (ring to ring or eyelet to eyelet) cable and bolt to the rear holes in the driver side head. Bolt the other end to the firewall. One bolt that you can use is the master cylinder mount studs.

The VR basically must be at battery ground potential. Make sure it's mounted tight, scraped clean around the mounting holes and flange, and star lock washers.

Factory original was minimal and barely adequate

I have seen them from factory have a ground strap from the back of the right head to the fire wall. Every thing that gets bolted to the fire wall that needs grounded gets grounded by the bolts that bolts them on. If that makes sense. lol

Ground straps go on the ground as the name states....

The main ground terminal from the battery goes to the front of the driver's side head, the offshoot from that terminal goes to a body near the battery.

Then get at least a 10 gauge wire and run a ground from the rear intake manifold bolt near #8 cylinder to the firewall.

You guys are awesome!! Ran the 10 guage from the intake→firewall. Already had the battery→drivers side. Installed a new VR and scraped the bejesus out of it plus broke the paint around the firewall holes (new paint job). Still need to ground the gas tank and probably the gauge panel since my temp/fuel gauges are a no go.

Many thanks! :D

-
Back