Grounding Question?

-

moparspares

Reaction score
1) Is it OK to run my ground strap to Aluminium head or does it have to go on engine block somewhere. I also have a 1 wire alternator and they say to have a good ground to block.

2) My original braided ground strap is stuffed. Can I replace it with a piece of battery cable.

1) Is it OK to run my ground strap to Aluminum head or does it have to go on engine block somewhere. I also have a 1 wire alternator and they say to have a good ground to block. I wouldn't ground to aluminum just because of possible metal reactions, though it would probably be just fine.

2) My original braided ground strap is stuffed. Can I replace it with a piece of battery cable. Yes you can as long as it is a decent quality cable with good connections.

You might get different answers but this is my take on it.

I have my neg going from my bat, one going to radiator support and other going straight to the drivers side head on the front, then have a ground going from rear if pass side head to body

I don't think it would matter as long as the material that you ground can conduct electricity...

I have my neg going from my bat, one going to radiator support and other going straight to the drivers side head on the front, then have a ground going from rear if pass side head to body

This is how I am doing it. Can't speak to aluminum head part but I got the special CU crimps and #4 battery cable and made all my own ground cables running from the battery kill switch to all the aforementioned places. Remove all paint and get down to bare metal.

If you connect to the aluminum head, the connector you use should be brass to prevent electrolysis. Otherwise, connect to the block.

1) Yes. If you're worried about corrosion from the bolt or terminal, dielectric grease is
your friend, you'll be fine.
2) Yes.If you have soft motor mounts,drive aggressive alot,then it may give it up much
sooner than the braided strap.But why? Those straps aren't expensive or hard to get.

Actually, brass contains copper and so you will end up with electrolysis between brass and AL. A tin coated ground lug will help a lot. That is pretty common and easy to find.

Dielectric grease will slow the electrolysis between AL and copper, as it helps exclude water, but it will not stop it. A compatible metal coating is needed, like tin.

-
Back