growing a beard

-

74360duster

JEREMY
Reaction score
so i am working on growing a beard. first time ever. any secrets that will help. does trimming it once in a while help it to grow any faster. i am about 1/2-3/4 in long or so right now.not going to bad. something different. had several women tell me it makes my face look fuller and they really like the new look.
gimme your experience on what I should do. thanks

Maybe Rani & Leanna should chime in at least for the look. I just always just let mine grow.
:worthles:

This is the 2nd winter I have grown a beard, the first few weeks it itches like crazy, then after that I'm over it and forget it's there lol! I trim mine every few weeks only to trim the wild hairs off, its an inch long now but mine grows fast. I shave my neck with a razor and trim around the outside to even it out and make it all look even. Funny, I have seen people I know walk right by me and not recognize me cause nobody is used to seeing me with a beard. And yes, some ladies love the grizzly look, I have a friend who thought I was cute, she seen me in a beard and she said I looked way hotter with the beard :D lol

One thing I hate is I get food or pop on my chin and I have to wash it off with a splash of water cause you have to get it all out. One strange thing is after you shave it off completly it feels strange to have it all gone....mine will be here till April :glasses7:

I stop; haircuts and shaving in Nov. Start again mid March.

I have had one so long I don't remember what its like to grow one. Bad thing is its all grey.

my hair was down past my eyes and below my ears. made it through christmas and cut it. but letting the beard grow.

not a good picture at all. 6 beers in and not real photo genic and also the fact that i dont sleep well. lol
but heres where im at right now,bout 3,4 weeks so far.

Attachments

• photo(9).jpg
    89 KB · Views: 310
not a good picture at all. 6 beers in and not real photo genic and also the fact that i dont sleep well. lol
but heres where im at right now,bout 3,4 weeks so far.

Rofl! I didn't make it past the look you have before cracking up. Back on topic, I can't get my beard to grow more than a scraggly inch or two

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTjrwgnJHpM&list=UUiq5UoB5QEE26iQ18Bgt0dA&index=16"]The Beards - A Wizard Needs a Beard (Live - 2009) - YouTube[/ame]

Listen to this beard themed band and your beard is guaranteed to grow thicker and fuller.:cheers:

I'd provide some input but I just started growing a beard too. Been working on growing it for forty years now. My wife and kids have never seen me without it! Now that I've got a good, solid start on it, it has turned white! I just shave the neck and upper cheeks and use a #2 cutter to keep it neat.

Used to wash mine with T_Gel every other day or so. My skin used to get really dry and would start flaking badly. Nothing like a faceful of dandruff.....

Just let it grow. Unless you want to shape it.

Here's me a few years ago, pulling off my 'terrorist' look.

DSCF0848.jpg

I grew a beard when I was 22 years old. I'm now 63 years old, and still have it.
I've shaved it off a few times, and immediately grew it back.
On one occasion when my daughter was about 4 years old, I had shaved my beard off, when I went to pick her up at Pre-school, she didn't recognize me. When I finally convinced her that it was me, she told me to "shave it back on".
On another occasion, about 10 years ago, I have just finished shaving and stepped out of the bathroom just as my wife was entering the bedroom with a hand full of laundry. As she passed me, without breaking her stride, or even taking a second look, she said, "Grow it back".

Another time a was a witness in a court case, and the defendant's lawyer during a pretrial meeting, asked me to shave my beard off, because I looked like an "Iranian", of course my wife had something to say about that, and told the lawyer that without it I "look like a "fat Mexican"!

Needless to say 41 years later, I still have a beard, though instead of being black, it's now mostly white.

I grow one every year for hunting season. Let it grow for a few weeks until it stops itching. Wash and condition it just like your hair. Brush out the tangles. Buy a beard trimmer with a few different length setting to shape it if you don't want the wild man look. When it's time to trim I'll usually trim the entire beard at the longest setting then touch up from there.

After I got out of the Army, I couldn't stand the feeling of hair even touching my ears. I went on a long time like that. One day, I got sick and tired of watching my wife drool over all her C&W idols. Seems like everyone of them had beard. So at age 53 I grew one. She loved it! At first I didn't think I would be able to stand it but now I forget that I have one. A couple of times I even hacked into it with a razor cause I forgot I had it (LoL). She does like me to keep it short and clean looking though.

Maybe Rani & Leanna should chime in at least for the look. I just always just let mine grow.
:worthles:

Hmmmmmmm ... I kinda like it on you but let it fill in some more.

My dad was also a ginger. He grew a mustache for a couple weeks to see if he would like it. One evening before supper, he shaved ... one side.

It took us almost a week to realize he only had half a mustache. :-D I'll never forget how hard he laughed when my mom finally noticed.

Attachments

• Johnson Family Portrait.JPG
    141.5 KB · Views: 250
I've had mine for about a year. I let it grow full for awhile ,now I'm trimming it . I bought a good trimmer. I've had alot of compliments on it.
this was my first beard.

I shaved mine off last year there is a thread here somewhere. My wife told me to grow it back. Her words grow it back you don't look right without it. I also wash mine with witchhazel which helps to keep down the acme. Ink is right about T Gel it does help with dry skin.

The last time I shaved, Gillette Trac IIs were the hot ticket. Remember though, it ain't a beard until you can blow your nose in it....

Have had a beard for most of the past 36 years

Use to just let it grow, now keep it trimmed with #1 trimmer and shave the neck & cheeks

Use shampoo with conditioner for head and face daily

The cream rinse in the shampoo will keep the itch to a minimum or use both shampoo & cream rinse

I personally think a well trimmed beard looks best. Mine grows in real thick so it does not get long. When I let it grow over an inch it gets heavy and makes my face hurt.

Good luck

When I was riding the bike everyday I let my goatee grow for a while. It got long enough that the wind would blow it up and cover my sunglasses. Woke up one morning and Ernestina hacked it off......

-
Back