Grrr! Fuel sender or fuel pump?

-

GermzD74

Cool Member
Reaction score
Well I'm trying to get my car to fire, no gas is being sent through, the clear filter is dry, nothing in it, is this due to a fuel pump that decided to give up? or the fuel sender?

Anyone have any of these for a slant six?

Gotta get the car up and running before the Spring Fling!

WAHPIIIISH! :read2:

Here is a quick method i have always done when starting up a car i just got.

Take the inlet of the fuel pump, and stick it in a gas can. See what you get, that eliminates the entire rest of the fuel system from the problem.

Prime the carb if you can (if possible, pour by a cup fuel into the carb's bowls prior to cranking). Or use a cheapo spray bottle with fuel to help get things going (dont use starting fluid).

If you get it started and all runs fine with the gas can, then hook up the rest of the fuel system again. Then you atleast know it is from there, back. It doesnt hurt to jack the back of the car up to help out the mechanical pump get primed

it is possible you have a plugged up sender (not a huge deal on an abody),
it is possible you have a kinked line,
also could be a cracked or loose rubber line that is allowing the pump to suck air rather than fuel
could be a hole in a hardline.

Start with checking the rubber hoses, if they are hard and old. Replace them, with new clamps and make sure they are snugged up well. (if the rubber by the sender is being replaced, go ahead and pull the sender to check it). Make sure you have minimal fuel in the tank!

My suggestion right now,
1) Run it with a fuel can
-If it runs well, post up and start checking the rest
-If not, then you're looking at likely a pump

Here is a quick method i have always done when starting up a car i just got.

Take the inlet of the fuel pump, and stick it in a gas can. See what you get, that eliminates the entire rest of the fuel system from the problem.

Prime the carb if you can (if possible, pour by a cup fuel into the carb's bowls prior to cranking). Or use a cheapo spray bottle with fuel to help get things going (dont use starting fluid).

If you get it started and all runs fine with the gas can, then hook up the rest of the fuel system again. Then you atleast know it is from there, back. It doesnt hurt to jack the back of the car up to help out the mechanical pump get primed

it is possible you have a plugged up sender (not a huge deal on an abody),
it is possible you have a kinked line,
also could be a cracked or loose rubber line that is allowing the pump to suck air rather than fuel
could be a hole in a hardline.

Start with checking the rubber hoses, if they are hard and old. Replace them, with new clamps and make sure they are snugged up well. (if the rubber by the sender is being replaced, go ahead and pull the sender to check it). Make sure you have minimal fuel in the tank!

My suggestion right now,
1) Run it with a fuel can
-If it runs well, post up and start checking the rest
-If not, then you're looking at likely a pump

Excellent, I am now smarter than a few minutes ago...lol

THANKS!!! :cheers:

Ill post back once I do that first process!

pull that same fuel pump inlet line but add a vacuum gauge and see if you get a pulse of about 4-5 psi . if needle does not move, the pump arm isn't moving or its broken.

Whats a feul sender?

If gas aint getting to the filter, it's ethier the pump is bad or the line is cloged. I know there gas in the tank.

Hummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm got a point there Goody

Could this be the problem? lol

What I am not sure is...did I rip it while trying to get it off or was it like that all ready haha, when I took the opposite side off from the riped part, I noticed it was ripped, so I guess this is the problem because I couldn't of ripped it by pulling it like I did.

I guess that was it, sucks in air instead of fuel...lol

Now the fuel pump looks really old too...should I just replace that later on? its cheap...like 18-20 bucks.

IMAGE_457.jpg

Don't throw money at the car unless you need to. Was this piece of hosing absolutely dry? You are going to have to replace this one way or another. As someone else mentioned, test your pump and work your way backwards.

Don't throw money at the car unless you need to. Was this piece of hosing absolutely dry? You are going to have to replace this one way or another. As someone else mentioned, test your pump and work your way backwards.

Yep, its pretty dry, I bend it and I can see small cracks, Ill replace it and test the pump, hope it works!

Make the simple fixes/tests first. Just use common sense. Remember to prime your carb but I don't know if you want to throw a cup of fuel in there. Good luck.

Well problem fixed, replaced that hose, after a few unlucky tries, I finally got er to run on its gas again woot!!!!

Now, to the next problem! Ill post it on the engine issues thread =/:angry7:

Thanks to everyones help, learned a lot!

So, was it the severed fuel line or ... ?

Yep hehe, something simple yet confusing for me lol

I almost gave it a quits after turning the engine 10000 times haha

I poured in gas through the carb bowls and nothing, just fired then died, dont know what I did that it fired at the last moment and stayed like that...what was it? that way next time i know how to start it correctly...is there something i need to do to the carb while someone turns the engine?

That's why I always say start with the simplest thing first. Sometimes we have a tendency to overthink things. Re: priming the carb several times. Sometimes it is necessary just to get the fuel pulled back up the line. Since you had a severed rubber line up front, the fuel probably drained all the way back into the tank leaving the line dry. Several priming starts gets the fuel back through the pump and to the carb. Congrats!

Germ...
As my father always tried to pound the "Rules Of Life" into my hard head.

# 1. The happier you keep Mom, the better your quality of life will be.
# 2. If you have any sense, the day you qiut learning is the day they put you in the pine box.

I quess you are safe..and have a running car !!

If you have any rubber hoses underneath the car that's dry rotted it can suck air in and not the gas in the tank. I had that happen before.

-
Back