Grudge match HELP!

-
I agree with the drag radials. I know you can't fit much tire under that car, but keep them small, in diameter, to help with the gear ratio. A d-loop would be a good idea, too.
Also, what rpm do you shift at? Too low, and the engine will drop below it's power range after the shift. Years ago, I had a stock '72 340 Demon that wouldn't rev above 5200. I shimmed the valve springs at the advice of a friend, then shifted at 6000 (auto), going through the traps at 6500 in 2nd gear (it had 3.23's). It's been too long to remember the exact results, but it was the biggest gain I got tuning the stock engine. FYI-Your trap rpm's will be lower on a "bad air" day.
The other big gain I saw was from loosening the secondary air flap on the Thermoquad. You mentioned a light spring. I guess you've done that. You have a light car and a decent rear gear, it'll like that, depending on the torque convertor's stall.
You should pick up a couple tenth's just with the better air that he ran with.
Is he doing anything to pick his car up?

No, he has a stock intake with a thermaquad. We both have manual valve bodies. I shift mine at 6000.

cb66

OMG I totally forgot about chilling fuel! We always iced the intake before and after runs as well as the chilled fuel trick.

get a set of drag radials and the money you were about to waste on msd stuff and race gas, use it to go to the track and tune your car

timing light
jet kit
a few squirters and pump cams
make passes and keep track of what your doing

i think your shifting to high also

depending on your cam,compression,and convertor.................a set of 1.6 rocker arms can make a huge difference,,,,,,,,,,,of course you still need to get that first sixty feet out of the way

I too would put my money on the tires... Also, think about swapping the torker 340 and putting a holley on that. The old torker 340 leaves a alot to be desired. The torker 340 II was a get high rise single plane. The 3.91's are a great gear if you can hook it.... Good luck!

He sold me that torker intake. That little weasel. So what intake should i run on this thing. Remember I may have some hood clearance issues on this early A.

Thanks,
cb66

Your carb and intake are your problems.

A holley 750 is too much carb on your 340. The torquer 340 intake is garbage at best. I picked up time replacing a torquer with a stock 340 cast iron intake. Your combo wont like a single plane intake either, get an airgap and a 650 and you will pick up a lot of lost time.

Your carb and intake are your problems.

A holley 750 is too much carb on your 340

No its not,if you know how to tune one.. i've run them on STOCK 340's with great results...

cb66valiant,what cam are you running??...

OMG I totally forgot about chilling fuel! We always iced the intake before and after runs as well as the chilled fuel trick.
Allot of folks have forgot just how much that means haven't they :grin:

Thanks for the compliments and advice. I think its time for some drag radials. So now I need to get a set of 15" sbp wheels so i can get a decent size drag radial.

Thanks again,
cb66

I actually have a old set (2 wheels) of ARE small bolt pattern 15 inch 7 or 8 inch wide (Centerline copies) in my shed. They are not perfect as one of them has edge of the rim scrapped from an idiot trying to mount the tires on them. I used the wheels when I ran at the track and they still have my M&H Racemaster super sticky DOT tires on them. I wouldn't recomend running them as they are old. If you're interested I can let you have these cheap. I live near Pittsburgh. I'm not sure how far away you are from there. P.M. me if you're interested.

Glenn

No its not,if you know how to tune one.. i've run them on STOCK 340's with great results...

cb66valiant,what cam are you running??...

I've already done this experiment at the track and the 650 on my 340 was 2MPH better at the big end, but what do I know.

This is just a thought,, 235/60/15 MT's or BFG's are 26" tall and will fit your (SUPER CLEAN by the way) Valiant and just right for the 3.91's. I have no comparison data on 1/8 mile, but 1/4 mile with 3.91's should put you throught the lights at around 6 grand.
Looks like the rest of the combo on the car is a good set up.
You have small bolt wheels,so if you use the 14x 5.5 steelies you may want to look up M&H ( or others ) as they have 14's that are 22/23" tall and will help in the 1/8 mile.This may be your best bang for the buck if cost is a factor.
You have everybody's blood flowing over this post giving us that "WHAT IF" factor. I did this years ago at Bristol against the Year One Camaro and got creamed 3 out of 3 but had great fun trying.Nothing like "Heads UP" grudge racing. Best of luck to you. Too bad we will have to wait months to find out what happen.......

I've already done this experiment at the track and the 650 on my 340 was 2MPH better at the big end, but what do I know.

I agree, Most over carb there mild SBs & will contest its the best, especially when running square bore carbs, the only execption is the TQ, even though it might flow 800 cfm your not useing all of it, the signal on a spreadbore is much better at lower RPMs then a larger squarebore like a 750, Any mild SB will run great with a 650-670 cfm & a dual plane.

You're getting a lot of good information.

I agree with stroked 340, anybody can add nitrous, and knowing the power range of your cam for shifting, and the tire and gear combination for the 1/8 th mile has to be right, for some basics.

What size tire are you using ? I don't think it was mentioned.

Beautiful car, from the picture it's hard to tell the true color.
When you change wheels the other guy will know what you did, but so what. I think you need to Catch up and use some street slicks, and when he sees that, it will put the pressure on him.

But we need to know diameter tire you're running now.
What's your trap speed and RPM ?

It's a 26" tall tire on the rear. The cam is a MP, 268 duration, something like that. Can't find my info.

It's a 26" tall tire on the rear. The cam is a MP, 268 duration, something like that. Can't find my info.

IF i read the chart right thats not much cam,you could really benefit from some more cam and still be able to use the stock rockers if needbe..

Okay so here are the pictures of the wheels. They are far from perfect but they are 15 inch small bolt pattern aluminum wheels. They have never been in the rain but they have been stored in my shed for several years hence the condition. I would imagine that they could be polished without too much trouble but there is still the lip damage from the idiot that tried to mount the tires. I'm thinking I'll let them go for $75.00. Let me know if you're interested.

Glenn

Attachments

• IMG_1297LR.jpg
    64.6 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_1298LR.jpg
    60.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_1299.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 100
  • IMG_1300LR.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 95
Nice rims superchargeddrt!!! If only I had a few $$ and they werent needed for this grudge match. It's all good though if it helps cb66valiant beat his Boss!

-
Back