guess I bought it

-

famous bob

mopar misfit
Reaction score
Guess `ve bought the 78 volare wagon I posted about a couple of weeks ago. Any one have any experience rebuilding a volare ? I know a lot of people don't like them, but almost anything can be fixed . I sure like the way this one sets (stance), and never been wrecked, straight as can be in the pics. ?? supposed to go after it next week. Been looking for an A body valiant wagon to mess w/ for a long time, never found one , so I`ll do this one. All advise appreciated!----even negative, long as it`s from actual experience, and not b.s.!-----thanks , bob---oh yeah, I tried 3 times to get on the volare-aspen website, it kept asking the same questions over and over , finaly said ---- -t !

I've owned a couple of Volare/Aspens. I've liked every one of them. Nice driving cars.

There was one for sale by me not long ago. Looked like it spent it's life in a garage. I thought about it hard but it didn't last a day on CL. I thought it would have made a cool bump around town grocery getter. Go for it!

the grills are plastic and break e asily, hard to find. one big problem is they came after the "musclecar craze", not considered a "real" hp car, by some...therefore, many were never kept back from the crusher. they got a real bad rep in 76-7 because ma mopar changed their pant/ primer methods somehow, and manly the fenders rusted back, many claim sitting on the dealers lot rusting right there!? . I picked up a rust free 79 Volare, pretty much survivor. nice car. I like it; a lot of styling on it from the duster ( side view)... little heavier, good road car....
the FMJ has nice people like here, and some carryover. just way less traffic on that site due to way more A bodies out there than FMJ cars. I have noticed the FMJ guys are knowledable of the later 's pollution controls stuff that I am NOT! maybe
let Joey help you if having problem logging onto the FMJ...... I know they will be glad to have another member there.

nice! congrats on the score! I'm betting it'll be a fun project.. you know what - it's a car.. stuff breaks, you fix it - if stuff ain't good enough, you upgrade it.. wasn't the Volare' line essentially what became of the A-body's - the next incarnation? I have never owned one - but have known a few people who did, they are versatile and you can make them into anything you want - just like any car! Looking forward to seeing what you come up with. :thumbsup:

There is a 4 dr SE and a wagon at 2 seperate yards here.

wow! hard to find anything in a boneyard older than 2000!

the part that amazes me bout the FMJ bodies, cars built after 75, is most any classic car resto jobs have the engine pulled and it is built to make the power the owner wants. be it an original hemi cda, 69 383 roadrunner, 71 318 dart, etc... so what if a 79 Aspen RT was down on HP from the factory. we are going to build an engine for it to suit our purposes anyway.
I say Bob's Volare wagon will be cool no matter what engine lives there too!

the nice thing about an F-body is the engine compartment is really wide so no problem stuffing a nice engine in with headers.

I put headers in a friends T-top aspen awhile back and no where near the headache or wrestling match like an A-body ....especially an early A :(

F-bodies are good cars if you make them good, so good luck and congrats on the score.

the nice thing about an F-body is the engine compartment is really wide so no problem stuffing a nice engine in with headers.

I put headers in a friends T-top aspen awhile back and no where near the headache or wrestling match like an A-body ....especially an early A :(

F-bodies are good cars if you make them good, so good luck and congrats on the score.
thanks, guys, "and girls" ! thinking about el cheapo-gas mileage build, maybe satin black if I get the a.c. up and running. want a jump in and go type, already have a "have to keep locked in the garage for insurance" type hotrod. Like wagons, always wanted one. Also getting bored at times, need something to play with .

gotta love the F wagons, oh yeah:thumbsup:
pavillions 2014.jpg

I had a '76 Aspen back in High School. Good car for it's day. Have fun with the Volare Wagon, I'm sure it will be a blast to build!

My old Aspen...

Dodge Aspen 2c.jpg

the grills are plastic and break e asily, hard to find.
Late 80's, my Dad had one, not a wagon. He hit a deer and insurance totaled it. My brother got the car and was going to put it back on the road, but never did and had to move it from where it was.. So, I went to the garage where he was storing it and checked it out. Still ran great, just trashed all the front sheetmetal. I think I gave him $100 for it. Found a full front in correct color in a yard for $125 IIRC. Only thing I could not find was the grill. I made one out of chromed plastic ceiling light grids. Ran it that way till it would not pass inspection due to frame rust. Then my FIL gave me $100 for the car to park it on the edge of his property to piss off the neighbor. LOL

like said, the duster became the Volare, if you look at the side body lines, easy to see it. if there were more of the Volares and Aspens around ( gotta look several states away but they pop up), they would likely become what the 71-5 B body has become.. sought after by more people every year. the F body got those isolated rear springs like later b bodies, so it has a nice ride. and that rubber can be replaced with steel.
I got mine cheap enough, has NO rust, runs and drives great, just a 225 slant but I like the car. cheap toy. I would post pics but they are on the other busy puter. maybe later. like Rainy said , you can make it whatever you want, just like the majority of our A bodies.
yea, you gotta love the wagons.

-
Back