guess the VIN

-

rdb

Reaction score
VIN plate was painted over and 2nd digit in, no one can read it. The first two digits on VIN plates were a different typeface and lighter impression, clearly stamped earlier in the process.

Even the shop manual shows this.

Did VIN appear anywhere else on '64 Dart?

Attachments

• 20141105_112204.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 164
  • 20141105_112705.jpg
    9.3 KB · Views: 162
your first number on that plate is a 7 .....if you have a 64 dart GT then the 2nd number is a 4, if you have a dart 170 its a 1 and the dart 270's were a 3 for 2nd number on dart VIN plates.

Can you take some paint remover/lacquer thinner and clean the plate off. It should be bonded to the door pillar and not easy to remove.

sent from my iPhone

Well the prob is the number came thru from seller's paperwork as

744xxxxxxx

Which means 6 cylinder Dart/GT/1964

and even an old reg from a former owner in VA shows 744xxxxxx.

The inspector saw/read/guess 714xxxxxxx which means 1964 Dart 170, so MVA won't issue the permanent registration-- they compared the numbers. so now I have a $10K car I can't drive -- even tho it is getting a new top right now. Temp reg expired.

But there weren't any 170 converts --so this idea that someone gussied up a 170 to a GT doesn't work, plus who would do that anyway .. no one.

Looking at the plate from other side as suggested here might be good for seeing the number but getting it off, putting it back on makes it look tampered with. We already removed some paint.

I was told I should have (here in MD) just gotten historic plaates and none of this would have happened.

I think I will just got back to MVA and say I changed my mind and do want historic plates... hopefully that will solve the prob.

I think if you remove the paint from the vin tag, which shouldn't be on it anyway. it should help clear things up. Surprised the VIN inspector didn't suggest it. Be careful not to get solvent in the holes, if u don't have rivets, you don't wanna loosen the glue behind it.

Edit. I just saw dartmans comment above, true, if bonded, normal paint solvents shouldn't loosen it any.

The old plates like this were spot welded at the holes, no rivets. There should not be any glue.

-
Back