Gulf oil spill making me re-think my project...

-
Get a shitbox econo-vehicle for your daily driver and do what you want with your hot rod you will regret it later when you didn't do what you wanted to do.

FYI- I run my 410 Stroker hard for about 2 hours and it sucks about $40.00 worth of premium and sometimes more than that!

318 2bl would be your best bet but performance is OUT THE WINDOW.

Screw the gas mileage, I drive an old car cause they are cool. Here is my daily driver, seats 9 and has a 400 4bbl under the long hood, I parked a 2001 Dodge Intrepid to drive this beast :toothy10:

Picture 1309.jpg

Picture 1328.jpg

I was guessing on the low side on the $5.00 a gallon gas, by the time 0bama is done it'll be $10.00 a gallon and if every car on the road doesn't get atleast 35 mpg the commies will try an force our cars off the road all together... I have a fresh 360, yanked it from a county public transportation van that hauled around senior citizens.. Thay just had rebuild the 360 then the tranny went out so the county junked it...

Screw the gas mileage, I drive an old car cause they are cool. Here is my daily driver, seats 9 and has a 400 4bbl under the long hood, I parked a 2001 Dodge Intrepid to drive this beast :toothy10:

I love the old cars also, It would cost me $48.00 just to get that beast to the beer store...

Im hearing 6-7 a gallon and of course I didnt save any of the sources to back that up with so just consider mine a rumor. My cuda will be running a de-tuned 440 unless............

boosted 360... gobs of power on the throttle and cruise gets you in the 20's

also get a bike. i get upper 30's mpg with my 2000cc.

FYI- I run my 410 Stroker hard for about 2 hours and it sucks about $40.00 worth of premium and sometimes more than that!

318 2bl would be your best bet but performance is OUT THE WINDOW.

I have a 318 2bbl with 2.76 gears... Kinda slow on the launch.. But you can wind it out! And I love the drivability.. lopes on the highway and great in traffic with low rpm torque. I get 17 mixed driving (and a little pushing it through the twisties..) to 24 if I go real easy. daily driver and drive it everywhere!

IF you want a muscle car, you gotta deal with whatever it costs to drive it. My cuda gets 13ish on the highway, 9-10 around town. If you count how often it gets driven, it really isn't that much....

While I can see the price of Gas rising to 5.00 a gallon in CA I doubt this will happen. The Oil being spilled into the Gulf is not the United States only Oil supply. This well was a discovery well. The Supply of Oil world wide was not affected by the loss of this Oil. Any price change will be a result of a knee jerk reaction of Oil speculation. Also the shutdown of off shore drilling might have a small impact of the price but really there is no reason for the price to rise. Supply is steady and demand is actually lower then it was 3 years ago.

So build a 440 I say I am putting one in my 67 Barracuda and I live in CA so I am not scared.

About 20% of our oil comes out of the gulf, with all the rigs shut down, that's quiet a bit of oil loss.. With big oil companys in bed with the government, who always gets SCREWED?? We do.... The reason oil prices went down to begin with is because for one, people didn't travel as much when gas was $4.00+ a gallon, that hurt the oil companys volume sells, and two: "NOBODY HAS A JOB" to have to drive to....

People will most likely do the same thing if Gas prices rise that high again. They will drive less or carpool and the price will be driven down again.

Put in the 383 or sell it to someone like me who will use it!

If this is that much of a concern, why are you building a car anyway? Even the difference between a slant 6 and a 383 build might be about $500 in a years time...that equates to about $41.50 a month. Not much if you ask me. I own the car I have always dreamed about. It cost to play, period. If I can't afford it for a month, well I save up for the next month. It is part of my budget.

because a mild 360 wont get much over 10 with a four barrel even if you baby it..

If it doesnt get less than 8mpg it isnt a muscle car!

I got 8.9 when I first drove mine. After filling it and driving it a little, I got 12. If what you're saying is true, then that might be the most I ever get.

Blow-dart you're killing me!! 10 mpg with a 360??? My Valiants pretty light.. So, 360 or 383 I'm not gettin any gas mileage??

well with a small carb and like someone else put a vacuum secondary apposed to mechanical, and a very light foot im sure you could actually get closer to 15, also get some freeway gears. but then whats the fun in that. My dad says you should just build a hemi and run it on alcohol that you make in the bath tub. then you will really be saving some bucks!

I got 8.9 when I first drove mine. After filling it and driving it a little, I got 12. If what you're saying is true, then that might be the most I ever get.

freeway with tall gears will probably get you closer to 15 but 360 just has alot of cubes and needs the fuel.

money saver combo- 273 commando or built close to commando specs just to have alittle power, small four barrel, electronic ignition, 4 speed with o.d. and 276 gears. freeway driving you can get 20+

thats my brothers set up because he commutes in his 65 valiant about 120 miles a day.

Gentlemen, it's 2010 time to get with the program. A 5.7 Hemi with an 545 trans will net you in the neighborhood of 20-25mpg with 350HP in an A body ( around 3000#s ). Have your cake and eat it too..... You will pay a little more up front to do the swap, but it will pay for itself later on down the road.

you can either have power, or economy, but not both.

tall gears and easy driving may get you what you want out of a big block

-
Back