guna start work on a car soon....what to do?what to do?

-

mrtires24

Reaction score
Ok guys....for those who don't know me I put a 440 4spd duster together from the ground up in less than 6 monthes last spring. It is not, and was not intended to be a show car, but I am really happy with it.

I have my 1973 340 4spd car that needs floors and body work, as well as an engine rebuild ( it does run, but puffs blue a bit.

I also have a 1972 demon 318 4 spd. needs body, interior, and mechanical work all the way around.

I am not one to take my time on building a car...when I start, I set a deadline, and try and get it done right away. I do not have the slills to make a show car, and that has never been my intentions.

So my question is...which do I build?

1. My plan for the 1973 dart is to do the body and floors. rebuild the engine and finish the car off as plumb crazy . Keep it as it would look from the factory

OR

2. The Demon could go big block with a 440 from a motor home that I have. I will switch it to auto , do some body work, and alot of interior, and kinda give it a hot rod black body with aluminum rims ( old school oval slot) with a 3 flap hood scoop out of the hood.

Or

3. Demon will stay 4 spd, rebuild a 360 that I have laying around, redo the interior, work on the body, and keep it a hot rod black or maybe actually paint it a color just not sure what one. No hood scoop, and prob just reg rims.

Or

4. Or try and suprise my wife and work on her 1965 barracud over the winter and have the body and Interior done for Christmas?

Phil

Are any of them going to be on the track or just for the street? Also I would do the wife's cuda first, it will make her happy and you might get more funds be left to your own devices more. LOL

Are any of them going to be on the track or just for the street? Also I would do the wife's cuda first, it will make her happy and you might get more funds be left to your own devices more. LOL

She is awsome, and very happy with any of our cars. she is upset when I sell any, and excited when I buy one.

The only issue I see with doing her car is that she likes it staying all the same. It has been in her family since 1967. Her grandpa's, then her mom's now her's. She likes it as a servivor and is scared to change it, but the lower 1/4s are getting really soft,and I know I will be opening up a can of worms..but it will need to get done. I also know that she would be really happy with the finished project.

Just street cars...fast street cars :burnout:

My wife and me have the same sort of thing going. She is cool with it also. I could have started my car first but I wanted to do her car because it means a lot to her.m The 68 cuda fastback has been in her family since before she was born. The only reason she put a budget on me for her car is because she is a full time student( she went back to collage). So until she graduates and I make her my sugar mama we are real tight on money. Although I should be paying doctor bills with the money but if I don't have the car to keep me occupied I will go nuts. Plus I sold all my other toys like snowmobile and stuff so I think I get some of the money for the car, its only fair. LOL

I say 4 then 3 depending on how much she wants to keep it all the same. If it needs stuff now would be the time to do it before it gets too bad.

Thanks for the opinions so far.

I have to admit, I am a bitt leary on doing the work on the barracuda. I know it will need lower 1/4's and my sheet metal welding isn't the best yet. I would love to suprise her...but I would hate to hack it up.

I am really leaning towards one of the Demon builds because I am going to sell it...I just need the room, and I can't get anything for it the way it sits. I may even just through in a 318 auto from a dart I parted out a year ago...just to get it moveing...and up for sale. then I can work on the barracuda.

Still tosing around Idea's...right now I need to finish up some work on our house before any cars get worked on. ( adding a room)

Any more advise/ideas are apreciated.

Phil

well, I finished the addition on the house. That is our new master bedroom.

Then I tore apart our old bedroom and put new drywall on one wall and the ceiling, New floors, New paint, new electrical switches/sockets, new fan, baseboards and molding. So that is ready for the baby when it happens to arrive.

So now I can start to focus on the cars again... While I redo the bathroom.

After all the work on the house, I have to admit, I feal a bit of a need to work on something that I want to work on, so I have decided to work on the demon.

Still not 100% sure what rout I want to do, but I am leaning towards putting the 440 in it from the motorhome. The cost to do it won't be much more than if I do a SB, however it will be a bare bones build.

I am just not sure, But I am looking forward to driving the demon for the first time this summer. If plans work out.

Now then, back to my delema...

...318...360...440...what to do, what to do?

Phil

-
Back