Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Some of you may remember when the US Govt changed to Aero Precisions rig. Amazing technology! RIP Mr Dillion

D43909BC-99F5-403A-AF77-B866B59CD5BB.jpeg

I love the fact that cartridges like 45-70 and 45 Colt are still going stong after all these years. I cast bullets for all my handguns and my 1885. That rifle is amazingly accurate with 405 gr. slugs. I am a traditionalist in that I don't have a scope on any of my rifles. I love my peep sight!
Couldn’t resist

01C0A0BC-A5A0-4160-BA45-BB64BA055B1A.jpeg

So we are in the middle of selling our home in ND. Initial walk thru was a epic fail out in the shop. Appears I must sanitize a bit. It was actually going pretty well as they commented on removing some scantily clad women on calendars and such. Then they got to my “Dodge guy poster” which led to the repel all boarders short shotgun. Went downhill directly after that. Reckon I will clean up my act and let them do another tour.

A0662FBC-C723-4563-9852-045C65AC711B.jpeg

Holy Smokes! Sadly that is just a bit out of my budget. By maybe 7,000 bucks or so. And if I snagged it I would absolutely have to shoot it! I know there are a lot of collectors out there and I love what they do for our industry, but if I buy one, I shoot it as soon as I can. Kind of like my cars, I race them, thrash them and drive em in the rain. Well except the ones with no wipers! Hah!

Well it appears our grand opening (Blair Creek) is taking up a life of its own. We know some guys over at Shadow systems and they want to crash the party. They know full well my opinion of Glocks but they are coming anyway! Cross breed holsters is going to offer crazy discounts during the event and now some snake eater buddies who have started a wilderness and outdoor survival school are going to show up and have a tent. This thing is rapidly spinning out of control. My wife is fit to be tied wringing her hands over logistics etc. I tried to explain to her that at the end of day the industry folks showing up are super laid back and are using it as an excuse for an end of day sampling of adult beverages, get together over a camp fire and tell tall tails. Most are buddies and are good folks. Poor Jodi. What could possibly go wrong? A dozen or so low speed high drag guys getting together with an abundance of ammo and a hot range?

Well it appears our grand opening (Blair Creek) is taking up a life of its own. We know some guys over at Shadow systems and they want to crash the party. They know full well my opinion of Glocks but they are coming anyway! Cross breed holsters is going to offer crazy discounts during the event and now some snake eater buddies who have started a wilderness and outdoor survival school are going to show up and have a tent. This thing is rapidly spinning out of control. My wife is fit to be tied wringing her hands over logistics etc. I tried to explain to her that at the end of day the industry folks showing up are super laid back and are using it as an excuse for an end of day sampling of adult beverages, get together over a camp fire and tell tall tails. Most are buddies and are good folks. Poor Jodi. What could possibly go wrong? A dozen or so low speed high drag guys getting together with an abundance of ammo and a hot range?
You can't stem the tide with a push broom... but you can find high ground to watch from. :lol:

Sounds like a great shindig forming

Heading to the range tomorrow to waste some lead and sight in my newest/ old toy. I think that this rifle will be my companion for deer hunting this year. This old girl has a 17 1/2" barrel which makes it light and perfect for busting through the PA brush. I'm working up an accurate load for hunting using 200gr bullets. This rifle is chambered in 9x56 mm Mannlicher Schoenauer. I really get a kick out of using these 100+ year old rifles for hunting and harvesting deer. Half the fun is working up a load for these obsolete cartridges. I'm also taking out S&W replicas to knock down some steel targets. The wife is coming along to get some time behind her S&W 380 EZ.

IMG_E5051.JPG

IMG_E5052.JPG

IMG_4896.JPG

IMG_4462.JPG

Heading to the range tomorrow to waste some lead and sight in my newest/ old toy. I think that this rifle will be my companion for deer hunting this year. This old girl has a 17 1/2" barrel which makes it light and perfect for busting through the PA brush. I'm working up an accurate load for hunting using 200gr bullets. This rifle is chambered in 9x56 mm Mannlicher Schoenauer. I really get a kick out of using these 100+ year old rifles for hunting and harvesting deer. Half the fun is working up a load for these obsolete cartridges. I'm also taking out S&W replicas to knock down some steel targets. The wife is coming along to get some time behind her S&W 380 EZ.

View attachment 1715969154

View attachment 1715969155

View attachment 1715969156

View attachment 1715969157
Mmmm set trigger for the win. I like two trigger rifles. Our barn rifle is a old British 303 rechambered to 308. It has the Mannlicher stock as well. At first I was not a fan but it grew on me. It is beat to pieces and leans against the wall by the door in all weather. But I gotta tell she is a shooter. No scope or anything just old iron sights but wicked accurate for as far as this old fat guy can see. Ask the Coyote! What kind of powder are you going to work up? I am still trying to use up a bunch of old unique, so it has been going in everything here lately.

Mmmm set trigger for the win. I like two trigger rifles. Our barn rifle is a old British 303 rechambered to 308. It has the Mannlicher stock as well. At first I was not a fan but it grew on me. It is beat to pieces and leans against the wall by the door in all weather. But I gotta tell she is a shooter. No scope or anything just old iron sights but wicked accurate for as far as this old fat guy can see. Ask the Coyote! What kind of powder are you going to work up? I am still trying to use up a bunch of old unique, so it has been going in everything here lately.
Lee/ Enfield?

Anybody got any experience with Streamlight products on a Shield EZ? Had a dog get some of my chickens last night. Looking to have a better shot next time. Your thoughts are appreciated.

Anybody got any experience with Streamlight products on a Shield EZ? Had a dog get some of my chickens last night. Looking to have a better shot next time. Your thoughts are appreciated.
Just my .02 here but streamlight products seem to do pretty well for typical non professional applications. Once you really start banging them around you need something a bit more durable. But sounds like it may be perfect for your application.

The rounds that I shot yesterday were 46 grains of 4046. Load data for the 9x56 is not very abundant. I have some load info from old reloading manuals. Powder choices include 3031, 4895, and 4350. That 6.6 lb rifle packs a pretty good wallup!
I made the bolt shroud peep sight for the rifle. I will need to work on fabricating a taller front sight. More fun stuff.

-
Back