Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
We beat the literal stuffing out of them, they are used as handles to manipulate slide etc. The optics of just a few years ago could not endure. Most everything made today by the larger companies simply do not fail very often. The technology gained from sand box has permeated the civilian market. We just don’t see many failures anymore from the latest generation. Early on holding zero was a thing, now you can literally take them off and put them back on and for the most part they hold zero. I do not suggest doing this and not verifying zero!
Red dots are the answer for my aging eyes @pittsburghracer here ya go!

Have we discussed preferred blades for every day carry or even a night out on the town when a firearm isn't available? I was travelling to a large city recently and checking a firearm on the plane is a PITA for a short trip so I left them at home. Wouldn't have mattered much because it seemed everywhere we went were signs prohibiting concealed firearms. Anyway, while walking around the city I felt very vulnerable with all the vagrants and homeless people lounging around. Had one turn and follow us for a short time until we went into a restaurant. Would have felt a lot better with a decent blade in my pocket. I'd probably prefer a decent sized folder with a clip that is quick to open and preferably has some bolster type features to keep from slipping on the handle. Recommendations or examples of what works for you all?

Have we discussed preferred blades for every day carry or even a night out on the town when a firearm isn't available? I was travelling to a large city recently and checking a firearm on the plane is a PITA for a short trip so I left them at home. Wouldn't have mattered much because it seemed everywhere we went were signs prohibiting concealed firearms. Anyway, while walking around the city I felt very vulnerable with all the vagrants and homeless people lounging around. Had one turn and follow us for a short time until we went into a restaurant. Would have felt a lot better with a decent blade in my pocket. I'd probably prefer a decent sized folder with a clip that is quick to open and preferably has some bolster type features to keep from slipping on the handle. Recommendations or examples of what works for you all?
without knowing what state you are in, a lot of these "firearms prohibited" signs are like preferred pronouns...they have no base in reality and are NOT enforceable
now, you need to know what the state laws are, because if the signs are enforceable, we are talking criminal trespass

I carry a Kershaw with an "opening assist" function. Kevlar grips, Tonto blade. Easy, single hand use.

Certain Eastern cities have length limits on blades (yes its true) so be aware of where you are traveling....

D.C. (shocker)
(b) No person shall within the District of Columbia possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another, an imitation pistol, or a dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife with a blade longer than 3 inches, or other dangerous weapon

I carry a spyderco para 3. I never want to have any involvement in a knife fight. Rarely a winner in those.

My rule of thumb. The glass should be equal or more than the firearm. That's unless you're collecting crazy-rare stuff. I lean towards a lot of Steiner stuff. German[best glass on the planet] and parts, assembled here in the USA. Moderately priced. I'm also sold on the UK/Shield dots. Great stuff.

My old eyes also prefer green-dots. I've found that the higher-priced HOLOSUN stuff is pretty durable, with lots of great features. [I know, I hate buying chi-com]
I think the domestic companies have been lazy, and living off their name and old reputations. Good stuff, but no innovation... [EOTECH and TRIJICON are local]

View attachment 1716071504

View attachment 1716071505

We just going to not have a conversation about this holy grail gun? Hot rods are an expensive hobby but if you’re throwing in machine guns also. You are living the dream.

I carry a Kershaw with an "opening assist" function. Kevlar grips, Tonto blade. Easy, single hand use.

Certain Eastern cities have length limits on blades (yes its true) so be aware of where you are traveling....

D.C. (shocker)
(b) No person shall within the District of Columbia possess, with intent to use unlawfully against another, an imitation pistol, or a dagger, dirk, razor, stiletto, or knife with a blade longer than 3 inches, or other dangerous weapon
key phrase being "intent to use unlawfully"

I carry a spyderco para 3. I never want to have any involvement in a knife fight. Rarely a winner in those.
Learn to use a K-bar, can be used in a knifing motion or hammer motion.
If you miss with the cut you bash their face in with the butt.

Benchmade folder with lock for me. And I like the loud obnoxious yellow colored one so I can see it when I lay it down or drop it. Them things disappear in the field when you drop them otherwise.

Learn to use a K-bar, can be used in a knifing motion or hammer motion.
If you miss with the cut you bash their face in with the butt.

The loser of a knife fight dies in the street. The winner dies in the hospital. Had a buddy get into a knife fight at a bar in West Virginia. He was taken to a hospital in Charleston in a helicopter. The other guy went to the hospital in the town it happened in. I’d rather work on my sprinting than my knife fighting.

The loser of a knife fight dies in the street. The winner dies in the hospital. Had a buddy get into a knife fight at a bar in West Virginia. He was taken to a hospital in Charleston in a helicopter. The other guy went to the hospital in the town it happened in. I’d rather work on my sprinting than my knife fighting.

Agree... 99% of a knife fight is accepting you will get cut, stabbed...whatever. 98% of people that present a blade are hoping for a psychological reaction and retreat of the adversary. This is not dissimilar to the statistics on bayonet charges during wartime.

Beware the guy who smiles when you want to fight

Last edited:
I want one of these, but at five grand, it ain't happenin. lol

I got this one finally assembled yesterday. Going to see how it shoots will probably end up bedding the action yet. Savage 110 in 6.5x55
IMG_20230408_200625_00.jpg

I got this one finally assembled yesterday. Going to see how it shoots will probably end up bedding the action yet. Savage 110 in 6.5x55
View attachment 1716075321
For the what it’s worth section virtually every single 110 I have seen thus far has been a shooter right out of the box. I mean nasty accurate and not real finicky on ammo. Great looking rig. I got a beer says it exceeds your expectations.

Agree... 99% of a knife fight is accepting you will get cut, stabbed...whatever. 98% of people that present a blade are hoping for a psychological reaction and retreat of the adversary. This is not dissimilar to the statistics on bayonet charges during wartime.

Beware the guy who smiles when you want to fight
One thing for sure about a knife coming at you. It will go right thru your hand as you stick it up (instinctive) to protect yourself. just sayin…..

For the what it’s worth section virtually every single 110 I have seen thus far has been a shooter right out of the box. I mean nasty accurate and not real finicky on ammo. Great looking rig. I got a beer says it exceeds your expectations.
Picked up a 110 at a gun show here in 30-30 W. :D Shoots great and really likes my pointy bullet hand loads :D

I had one in 300 WM years ago. The only gun I have ever sold. It was hitting 12” plates at 400 yards with my rookie trigger finger.

At my moms place settling her estate, found 3 knives stashed. We never knew she had them. First is a Leechlake, second is a Puma-Bowie, 3rd is something I’ve never seen before and not of good quality. The pumA-Bowie is heavy with cold riveted deer antler grips.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

-
Back