Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Well I had a bunch of leftover Romex from building the house. I just traded it to a guy building a shop for a Ruger American in 7mm-08. Factory camo and Rugers signature cerakote like bronze colored barrel (don’t know what they call it?) with muzzle brake And flat top. I had a very old Leupold 3x9 laying in the back of the safe that is going to jump on it. I just need to pick up some rings. I think it will make a dandy deer hunting rig for when grandkids come to farm to hunt deer. I have never shot an Ruger American Rifle, I don’t think? Maybe, just not sure. Anyone have one? Do you like it? Can it hold a group? I will test it once I get some ammo.
I got a feeling it should shoot, they are nice little rifles. I feed my 7-08's and .280 the Hornady 139 BTSP #2825. Used that bullet for 30 years and it groups 1/2-1 MOA and will expand but hold together with launch velocities from 2000 fps in reduced loads to 2950fps in the giddy-up loads.

@Sublime one : Love your choice in reloading equipment. I love my RCBS stuff! Also, 7mm-08 is a great round. Another one that never gets the respect it deserves. Heck of a deer round. I’d live to pick one up someday to fit right between my .260 Remington and my .308! I live short actions!!

7mm-08. A flat shooter. Shot and hunted with my buddy. Hard to acquire ammunition.

Standard action, short action, you guys are good judges. I think it may be a blessing that I don’t know **** about guns compared to you. Put one in my hand and I can safely hit something with it.

Last edited:
Standard action, short action, you guys are good judges. I think it may be a blessing that I don’t know **** about guns compared to you. Put one in my hand and I can safely hit something with it.
I hope that didn’t read as condensending. I admire your dedication. Sometimes simplicity works pretty good too. :thumbsup:

Lapua does make brass for them, so you will have a good foundation for some precision reloads. My neighbor has an 08 and had good luck reloading with Varget and 140 grain Accubond and 139 SST bullets from his Remington. Hornady ELD X Might be a good place to start with factory ammo. Dont know about The American. A few guys have them at the range and seem to think it is a good shooting rifle for the money similiar to a Savage Axis. Sounds like a great trade!

:lol:
Thanks for the recipe hints! Sure saves a lot of time! I will start looking for brass today. It will be for grandkids and I agree. I think it is right on par with savage axis. Just a good solid dependable rifle. Nothing flashy. And if the kids tear it up not a big deal.

I hope that didn’t read as condensending. I admire your dedication. Sometimes simplicity works pretty good too. :thumbsup:
Hah! We have known ya a long time BP, we read it like you intended. Certainly no offense taken at all! Simple is always better, that is why my wife picked me all those years ago!

@Sublime one : Love your choice in reloading equipment. I love my RCBS stuff! Also, 7mm-08 is a great round. Another one that never gets the respect it deserves. Heck of a deer round. I’d live to pick one up someday to fit right between my .260 Remington and my .308! I live short actions!!
Well full disclosure while i obviously subscribe to the green machine (RCBS) my two workhorse presses are both Dillions! I cut my teeth on RCBS and have just always trusted and used their equipment. My bench like most reloaders has evolved over the years and is now a collective hodge podge of various manufactures. Everything from Mec to Frankford arsenal, Dillion, RCBS, even some red! I would argue Dillion is likely my go to. But I certainly do have a bunch of green on my bench as well.

So here is the little Ruger American I swapped for, I had the 3x9 laying hidden in back of safe. Doesn’t everybody need a flashlight when they open their safes? Anyway I found some QD Leupold rings that worked out just fine. Trying to source the brass next. Sure hope I don’t take it fishing with me. I would just hate to lose yet another rifle in a boating accident! And a quick pix of my fearless co-pilot when we headed into town! If she had thumbs I would let her drive!

IMG_0308.jpeg

IMG_0304.jpeg

Trying to source the brass next
The beauty is, you can simply neck-down/reform plentiful .308 Win brass to hold you over until you find your preferred brand of 7-08 brass. I don't think it is very rare case though, I see brass and loaded ammo nearly as often as I have 243 or 308.

Been waiting on this one for a long time, ordered it when they came out back in 2021.

Springfield SA-35. Hoping to get out in a couple weekends to try it out. I picked up an M&P compact a while back too, need to break both of them in so I snagged another case of 9mm from Palmetto when it was 'on sale'.

20230725_155248.jpg

Well full disclosure while i obviously subscribe to the green machine (RCBS) my two workhorse presses are both Dillions! I cut my teeth on RCBS and have just always trusted and used their equipment. My bench like most reloaders has evolved over the years and is now a collective hodge podge of various manufactures. Everything from Mec to Frankford arsenal, Dillion, RCBS, even some red! I would argue Dillion is likely my go to. But I certainly do have a bunch of green on my bench as well.
I get that. A Dillon press would make life a lot easier.

Been waiting on this one for a long time, ordered it when they came out back in 2021.

Springfield SA-35. Hoping to get out in a couple weekends to try it out. I picked up an M&P compact a while back too, need to break both of them in so I snagged another case of 9mm from Palmetto when it was 'on sale'.

View attachment 1716119460
I have heard good things about the Springfield. I have not put my hands on one yet. Love to hear how it shoots.

View attachment 1716119460
I think I need one of those. I’m trying to like the 9mm ( I’m a 1911 45acp guy) but the Canik I got, while an interesting pistol, isn’t doing it for me.

I'll report back after I get a chance to use it, heading out on a long vacation in a couple days and won't be back for a week and a half. Nothing beats a 1911 in 45, but I have only heard good things about the various Hi Powers out there, so I figured I'd give it a try. I have a Springfield Range Officer Elite in 9mm and love it so I figured there's a good chance I'll like this one too.

Palmetto had AAC 124g FMJ for $249 a case (1k). Not that great, but the best I've seen since Covid.

Palmetto had AAC 124g FMJ for $249 a case (1k). Not that great, but the best I've seen since Covid.
How do you like it? For $249 I'm gonna try a case. Was just reading about them the other night when I was searching cleanest 9mm ammo.

I've shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds of AAC in various calibers, never an issue. Their 77grain 5.56 groups excellent too! This isn't self defense ammo, it's just 124 grain FMJ.

It was their deal of the day one day last week, I'm not sure what the price is now. They had 220 grain subsonic 300aac for 65 cents a round too, I grabbed a few hundred, I haven't seen anything subsonic that cheap before.

I've shot hundreds and hundreds of rounds of AAC in various calibers, never an issue. Their 77grain 5.56 groups excellent too! This isn't self defense ammo, it's just 124 grain FMJ.

It was their deal of the day one day last week, I'm not sure what the price is now. They had 220 grain subsonic 300aac for 65 cents a round too, I grabbed a few hundred, I haven't seen anything subsonic that cheap before.
I get their emails, dont know how I missed it. Seems AAC is reliable range ammo from what I've read. I mostly shoot CCI Blazer, Fiocchi range, and Speer Lawman in various weights. I would have grabbed a box at that price. I just bought my wife a Muddy Girl S&W Ar 15-22 for her birthday so I have been mostly looking at 22 long of late.

Which Canik?
TP9SFx
Not the pistol's fault. As a matter of fact it has some interesting features and you can't argue with what you get for the price. But, I don't much like any of the newer guns with the "safe" triggers, regardless of manufacture. Doesn't mean they aren't good for someone else though.

I think I need one of those. I’m trying to like the 9mm ( I’m a 1911 45acp guy) but the Canik I got, while an interesting pistol, isn’t doing it for me.

I have a Springfield Range Officer Elite 1911 in 9mm and absolutely love it. Might be worth finding one of those to shoot as well to try out.

I get their emails, dont know how I missed it. Seems AAC is reliable range ammo from what I've read. I mostly shoot CCI Blazer, Fiocchi range, and Speer Lawman in various weights. I would have grabbed a box at that price. I just bought my wife a Muddy Girl S&W Ar 15-22 for her birthday so I have been mostly looking at 22 long of late.

AAC is Palmettos house brand ammo, they've been pumping it out for a while now. Other than the boxes almost always falling apart in transit, I haven't had any issues with any of the calibers I have tried. It's nice to see another big player in the game trying to help lower the prices.

For 22lr, I haven't bought any lately, but was buying it direct from CCIs website during covid, they generally had the best price at that time, and always had it in stock.

I have a Springfield Range Officer Elite 1911 in 9mm and absolutely love it. Might be worth finding one of those to shoot as well to try out.
It would make sense to stay with the 1911 platform in 9mm, but for some reason I feel the need for higher magazine capacity with that caliber, so a double stack Prodigy may be in my future if I can fall into a deal. My friend with more money than sense just got a Staccato and he raves about it.

-
Back