Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
We faced the same issue introducing the Mal pup to our aging Eastern European GSD. For the most part they get along very well now, but it was precarious for a bit. The Pup is relentless with her pestering the big dog who is literally twice her weight and size. The pup is just a shade under sixty pounds and I doubt she will get any bigger. The play got a bit intense the other day and the pup turned on the “Mal switch” and tagged Hemi about three times on both sides of the head before Hemi even knew what was going on! The pup is deadly fast.

View attachment 1716097935
Yeah, our GSD has about 45 pounds on the new kid. He's fast and probably a bit smarter, (but don't tell her I said that), the girl is remarkably nimble for her size and can out spin the King. We just have to make sure they don't get too zealous in their play.
I don't really need the vet bills.

Oh, and impressive teeth ya got there.

Yeah, our GSD has about 45 pounds on the new kid. He's fast and probably a bit smarter, (but don't tell her I said that), the girl is remarkably nimble for her size and can out spin the King. We just have to make sure they don't get too zealous in their play.
I don't really need the vet bills.

Oh, and impressive teeth ya got there.
Oh my gosh the shimmy shake in the first video made me howl! That was hilarious. Hemi our GSD is also brighter than the pup, but is old enough now that she simply cannot keep up. We are giving her CBD oil for her hips trying to minimize the discomfort. The pup has already figured out the big dogs back end does not quite work right and attacks her ham strings like a heeler On a calf!

Oh my gosh the shimmy shake in the first video made me howl! That was hilarious. Hemi our GSD is also brighter than the pup, but is old enough now that she simply cannot keep up. We are giving her CBD oil for her hips trying to minimize the discomfort. The pup has already figured out the big dogs back end does not quite work right and attacks her ham strings like a heeler On a calf!
Yeah, the head shake. We were all surprised by that and that was when we KNEW he was ours.
Having had GSD's almost all of our lives, I would recommend glucosamine or one of the derivatives (I think we use something like Cosequin.)

Yeah, the head shake. We were all surprised by that and that was when we KNEW he was ours.
Having had GSD's almost all of our lives, I would recommend glucosamine or one of the derivatives (I think we use something like Cosequin.)
Agreed, we are also longtime GSD family. Kind of comes with the turf! Hemi has been on glucosamine for a couple of years now.

PSA
So for some of you super geeks, yes I am one of those! As a result of last match I am now experimenting with reducing recoil spring in my SIG to better match the lightweight ammo. In essence my 14 pound spring was slamming slide as a result of lightweight range ammo. This in turn drove the nose of the gun down dramatically, forcing me to expend time and energy getting dot back where it needed to be Prior to taking next shot. I am switching to a 12 pound recoil spring and will see if it reduces my par times? I learned this via being the star in a “what not to do“ training video we did impromptu like. a lot of guys do this when they toggle between Major and Minor and use same pistol. I just did not think about it referencing red dot. My bad.

1473790981_WoodyPopcorn.thumb.jpg.c8a72189320a2c22ea5de24bc9b93be1.jpg

Long day on range today. We have been working with a church security team this week. Last night we did training sessions onsite in their church. Today was live fire range day for them. We have been training this Team for a couple of years now, they can shoot! Anyway the head of their team pulled me aside and explained he brought a bunch of FBI qualification targets and wanted me to run his crew thru the FBI protocol for qualification. It was a hoot, his guys did very well. Admittedly the standards are a bit low compared to Air Marshall etc but it is a great starting point. FBI revamped their test protocol in I think 19? But I ran the old one for them. They did great. It was a good time. It got the entrepreneur in me thinking that come fall I will gather up a bunch of federal qualifications targets and host a pretend “qual day” at the range. Let guests run a bunch of different quals, feed them, maybe do some raffles etc. I think it would be a blast? The tuff part will be explaining it is a “ pretend” qual as I clearly cannot officially run the drill. You can get the targets very easily. Mmmmmmmm?

Long day on range today. We have been working with a church security team this week. Last night we did training sessions onsite in their church. Today was live fire range day for them. We have been training this Team for a couple of years now, they can shoot! Anyway the head of their team pulled me aside and explained he brought a bunch of FBI qualification targets and wanted me to run his crew thru the FBI protocol for qualification. It was a hoot, his guys did very well. Admittedly the standards are a bit low compared to Air Marshall etc but it is a great starting point. FBI revamped their test protocol in I think 19? But I ran the old one for them. They did great. It was a good time. It got the entrepreneur in me thinking that come fall I will gather up a bunch of federal qualifications targets and host a pretend “qual day” at the range. Let guests run a bunch of different quals, feed them, maybe do some raffles etc. I think it would be a blast? The tuff part will be explaining it is a “ pretend” qual as I clearly cannot officially run the drill. You can get the targets very easily. Mmmmmmmm?
Sounds like a good time. A nice balance of pressure to meet the challenge, satisfy curiousity, and experience the differences.

There's someone who has hosted something similar for historic LE qualifications. I can't recall where I read about it. Or maybe we talked about it.

There's someone who has hosted something similar for historic LE qualifications. I can't recall where I read about it. Or maybe we talked about it.
Found it. @Sublime one you know of these people. It wouldn't surprise me if you knew them personally.
Anyway. It looks really cool. In the one video I peeked at, its not a full on experiment. The person closest to the camara was not using period techniques or firearms, although it wouldn't be surprising if some of the participants were. :)

Found it. @Sublime one you know of these people. It wouldn't surprise me if you knew them personally.
Anyway. It looks really cool. In the one video I peeked at, its not a full on experiment. The person closest to the camara was not using period techniques or firearms, although it wouldn't be surprising if some of the participants were. :)

[/URL]
I do in fact. Bullseye shooting is arguably one of the oldest disciplines in this country and once upon a time even had congressional legislation to back it up. I dabbled in bullseye as a result of so many bullseye shooters drifting over to our defensive handgun shooting Classes. I figured if I understood their game I would be a better instructor to them. It was a lot of fun but man o man, you want to talk about watching paint dry!

It looks like they are still offering the class.

Some of it really isn't that different than today's police/FBI and citizen qualifiers.
I think the evolution of the targets is intersting too and how some of it crossed polinated with the US military training.
An aspect of military qualification that is often missed is usually is the first stepping stone that everyone had to take. MPs, infantry, and others often got additional training. I think the opposite was generally true with police quals. For most officers, quals were the final achievment unless they had interest in competition shooting or further training.

Last edited:
All right boys and girls I have a genuine question to what I feel is a pretty good cross cut reflection of a typical 2A community right here on this thread. As most know we run a firearms training range and center, we primarily focus on church and school security as well as home defense and defensive shooting plus your normal trauma classes. What I am pondering is developing a two man curriculum for our students around the context of home defense. For all you Rambo’s out there I am not talking about teaching folks to become Green Beret breachers. What I am talking about is based on home defense, so it would typically be a husband and a wife comprising the two man team. I would center the curriculum around that. My question is, do you guys think that perhaps this kind of class would garner any interest? I Mean seriously when else can the Husband say emphatically he is right? Note: Rule number one is, First man is always right! Hah! Apologies for a bit of room clearing humor but many of you will get it.

All right boys and girls I have a genuine question to what I feel is a pretty good cross cut reflection of a typical 2A community right here on this thread. As most know we run a firearms training range and center, we primarily focus on church and school security as well as home defense and defensive shooting plus your normal trauma classes. What I am pondering is developing a two man curriculum for our students around the context of home defense. For all you Rambo’s out there I am not talking about teaching folks to become Green Beret breachers. What I am talking about is based on home defense, so it would typically be a husband and a wife comprising the two man team. I would center the curriculum around that. My question is, do you guys think that perhaps this kind of class would garner any interest? I Mean seriously when else can the Husband say emphatically he is right? Note: Rule number one is, First man is always right! Hah! Apologies for a bit of room clearing humor but many of you will get it.

Home defense planning sounds interesting. Not sure what your client pool might be. I can see planning and equipment selection (weapon and load choice)...

Not sure how 2-person team would resonate...especially with families having small children (e.g. moving through the house while kids by themselves....) not sure what momma might think of that. Intriguing thought.

Home defense planning sounds interesting. Not sure what your client pool might be. I can see planning and equipment selection (weapon and load choice)...

Not sure how 2-person team would resonate...especially with families having small children (e.g. moving through the house while kids by themselves....) not sure what momma might think of that. Intriguing thought.
@WV64Signet thanks so much for the response. Pure speculation on my part but I am envisioning our self defense students or security team folks taking the next step and encouraging their spouse or spiritual partner to join them in learning how to be a better protector for the ones they love. Not to say it cannot be Joe Shmoe off the street. Evolving the thought a bit does it make sense for both applicants to already be an alumni or provide proof of previous training? I think yes, no way I want a total noob with a gun in hand behind me with their hand on my shoulder. Or perhaps have it as a two day class? Day one, ensure student has fundamental platform of safety and marksmanship, then, day two meld the training from previous day into two man stuff? Your point about the kids in house was exactly where I was going with regard to making the class home defense based not “door kickers”. It is all about context, some folks use ARs to defend the house some use shotguns and some use pistols. But the one thing they will all use is a flashlight. So some low light training also makes sense. This thing is getting more complex the more my thought process evolves.

@WV64Signet thanks so much for the response. Pure speculation on my part but I am envisioning our self defense students or security team folks taking the next step and encouraging their spouse or spiritual partner to join them in learning how to be a better protector for the ones they love. Not to say it cannot be Joe Shmoe off the street. Evolving the thought a bit does it make sense for both applicants to already be an alumni or provide proof of previous training? I think yes, no way I want a total noob with a gun in hand behind me with their hand on my shoulder. Or perhaps have it as a two day class? Day one, ensure student has fundamental platform of safety and marksmanship, then, day two meld the training from previous day into two man stuff? Your point about the kids in house was exactly where I was going with regard to making the class home defense based not “door kickers”. It is all about context, some folks use ARs to defend the house some use shotguns and some use pistols. But the one thing they will all use is a flashlight. So some low light training also makes sense. This thing is getting more complex the more my thought process evolves.

Yes to previous training and some sort of pre-qualification course of fire and stress test.

Education is key. I get people liking their AR but in MY house with other occupants I'm choosing something with much lower energy. Something like a reduced recoil 12ga. Know your target and know what's behind your target... that could be the next 4 or 5 trailers in the trailerhood as Toby Keith would say

Yes to previous training and some sort of pre-qualification course of fire and stress test.

Education is key. I get people liking their AR but in MY house with other occupants I'm choosing something with much lower energy. Something like a reduced recoil 12ga. Know your target and know what's behind your target... that could be the next 4 or 5 trailers in the trailerhood as Toby Keith would say
Totally agree on education. And while I teach a bunch of AR stuff, me personally that is a lot of gun for our home with occupants. I too go for a less energy choice. In our particular case it is a pump twenty. Let the haters hate!

I dunno, and don't feel I'm in a position to comment directly on a SD class specifically involving two or more persons working with firearms.

FWIW
Seems to me that you see in both hunting, SD, and target shooting maybe less so, husband-wife, Father-dau. Father-son, there is noticible participation. You probably have some sense of how common or not that is from the places and classes you've particpated in or run.

Teamwork and interaction with other good guys/gals in SD situation or even a potential SD situation is really important.

Two or more people working together is a huge force multiplier. That alone might be enough to resolve the problem in some situations.

Such thinking runs against the perceptions and beliefs of big swaths of the American public, and maybe more so amongst gun owners. We've become a very individualistic focused society. No need to go into the possible reasons. It's just a reality that might play into the interest (or lack of) and experience in working together. Those with military experience and some team sports probably being the major exceptions.

Last edited:
Brother, long time no talk, need to remedy that. I think the home defense stuff is a great idea. I think so many have the wrong idea about defending a home. Occupants, layout etc throw so many different things in the mix. Lights, like a laser, work both ways.

-
Back