Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
So Monday our Mal pup got spayed and dew claws removed. Doctor with straight face, says to keep her on a leash for two weeks and keep her clean and dry for the two weeks. Any of you familiar with the breed fully recognize there a special kind of Dante’s inferno keeping a Mal on a leash for two weeks. I lasted up till this evening. She was relentless, doing bite work on my arm (no sleeve) and on the leash. I finally just gave up and let her go. She did about four laps around the pasture at Mach six and headed for the pond. I now have a very wet, dirty, very happy dog and a pissed off wife! If you do not see any posts from me in the next day or so, look for a fresh dirt pile on back of our farm, I will likely be under it.

So Monday our Mal pup got spayed and dew claws removed. Doctor with straight face, says to keep her on a leash for two weeks and keep her clean and dry for the two weeks. Any of you familiar with the breed fully recognize there a special kind of Dante’s inferno keeping a Mal on a leash for two weeks. I lasted up till this evening. She was relentless, doing bite work on my arm (no sleeve) and on the leash. I finally just gave up and let her go. She did about four laps around the pasture at Mach six and headed for the pond. I now have a very wet, dirty, very happy dog and a pissed off wife! If you do not see any posts from me in the next day or so, look for a fresh dirt pile on back of our farm, I will likely be under it.
Sound like a trip to the dog house. Like George said, move it on over.

Picked up some scrap delrin to make some new grips for my 1858 New Army revolver!

We just bought a pallet of 9mm this week as we are burning up almost 20,000 rounds per month in training the next few months. Best price we have got in a long time. Ammo prices are coming back to earth. I would strongly suggest we all take advantage of it this year prior to the next election cycle.

The dark smokey grey colored delrin or the white? I have seen several guys use that material with good success.

The White Stuff. I am hoping it comes out well since scratches in delrin get dirty and ugly pretty fast. I imagine that shooting black powder will make it almost impossible to keep it clean.

We just bought a pallet of 9mm this week as we are burning up almost 20,000 rounds per month in training the next few months. Best price we have got in a long time. Ammo prices are coming back to earth. I would strongly suggest we all take advantage of it this year prior to the next election cycle.
I keep telling myself I'll buy a brick when it droppes below 25 cents a round
So far, the best I've seen is 26

Looks like my bride may be snagging a new 7-08 Remington. It is a Ruger American 22inch barrel with muzzle brake. Cerakote on the steel and go wild camo stock. It is short fast and it fits her. For those that are not compulsive reloaders the 7-08 is merely a 308 win necked down to 7mm. It is a great hunting load for smaller stature shooters. Recoil is minimal and it will take deer all day long. My wife is just a touch over five ft tall. Read: minimal wing span! We found it NIB for 580 bucks.

The White Stuff. I am hoping it comes out well since scratches in delrin get dirty and ugly pretty fast. I imagine that shooting black powder will make it almost impossible to keep it clean.

Wonder if you could seal it with some kind of product? But then it would be like holding on to the proverbial dolphin dipped in mayonnaise!

We could only hope to get this comfortable

20230507_000949.jpg

So we taught a Defensive handgun class yesterday (pix of my partner teaching) in some sweltering heat and humidity. Had some great students and most all used my rock climbers chalk I carry in my dump pouch. It sure makes the grip on your pistol look like crap but there is nothing worse than trying to hold on to a Dolphin coated in mayonnaise! (Wet hands on pistol) Next weekend it is more red dot instructors type stuff, and weekend after that it is down to Alabama to do some carbine training. It is officially training season and I am all ready wore out!

IMG_0005.jpeg

IMG_9989.jpeg

IMG_3926.jpeg

I’ve mentioned this gun a few times on here and now that things are settling out with my parents’ estate, I am the owner. It’s a 1949 Remington 722 in .257 Roberts, pretty much mint condition. Dad put a Remington recoil pad on it years ago. It wears an old Redfield peep sight. I may put a scope on it or just keep the peep. Very cool gun and glad to be its new keeper!

A5108A45-937A-49DF-8351-50362CB71EA1.jpeg

I’ve mentioned this gun a few times on here and now that things are settling out with my parents’ estate, I am the owner. It’s a 1949 Remington 722 in .257 Roberts, pretty much mint condition. Dad put a Remington recoil pad on it years ago. It wears an old Redfield peep sight. I may put a scope on it or just keep the peep. Very cool gun and glad to be its new keeper!

View attachment 1716089653
Great rifle in an excellent caliber.
I had a 721 30-06 set up like that and it shot 180's under an inch. Unfortunately the steel buttplate and my shoulder didn't go well with that much drop in the stock with the stout load that shot so well and I traded it towards something shinier. I always regret that decision.

That Robert’s caliber is one of the best underrated calibers created. It really shines if a guy takes the time to develop a load specific to the rifle. Love it!

That Robert’s caliber is one of the best underrated calibers created. It really shines if a guy takes the time to develop a load specific to the rifle. Love it!

It will complement my 700 Mountain Rifle in .257 Roberts. It’s a good shooter with the loads I’ve worked up for it! And will do the same for this one!!

Foot note and you likely are already aware, but back in the day a lot of the 257 Robert’s ammo got converted to fit the WW2 imported Japanese Arisaka (sp?) rifles. Guys would just expand the neck a bit for the larger Japanese caliber. The size escapes me now but I remember it caused all kind of issues since the head stamp remained Robert’s. Be careful with old ammo you might find for it. It is still loaded commercially and that might be a safer source for brass vs picking up the infamous zip lock at the gun show with the sharpie caliber wrote on the side!

So we taught a Defensive handgun class yesterday (pix of my partner teaching) in some sweltering heat and humidity. Had some great students and most all used my rock climbers chalk I carry in my dump pouch. It sure makes the grip on your pistol look like crap but there is nothing worse than trying to hold on to a Dolphin coated in mayonnaise! (Wet hands on pistol) Next weekend it is more red dot instructors type stuff, and weekend after that it is down to Alabama to do some carbine training. It is officially training season and I am all ready wore out!

View attachment 1716089643

View attachment 1716089644

View attachment 1716089645

What’s your main shooting distance at these personal protection classes.

Foot note and you likely are already aware, but back in the day a lot of the 257 Robert’s ammo got converted to fit the WW2 imported Japanese Arisaka (sp?) rifles. Guys would just expand the neck a bit for the larger Japanese caliber. The size escapes me now but I remember it caused all kind of issues since the head stamp remained Robert’s. Be careful with old ammo you might find for it. It is still loaded commercially and that might be a safer source for brass vs picking up the infamous zip lock at the gun show with the sharpie caliber wrote on the side!
Never heard of that one before. I have plenty of once fired and new nickel plated Remington brass to last me several lifetimes!!

Yep that rifle is just so cool I cannot help but to keep coming back to it! Just my opinion but if I was going to put a scope on it I think I would put a period correct glass on it. Honestly since you already have another nasty shooting 257 I think I would leave it as is. It just don’t get any cooler than that!

What’s your main shooting distance at these personal protection classes.
What we do is utilize the “plausibility principle“ so while it is certainly possible you may have to engage foreign troops fast roping down from a helo it is not likely very probable. Depending on who you quote for your source date,FBI, Range Master,US Govt, there is a plethora of data points. In the end the great majority of defensive handgun shootings in this Country occur inside twenty yards. We do most of our work at seven yards. We certainly expose the student to both shorter and longer drills but the bulk of our training for the standard defensive pistol course is at seven yards.

What we do is utilize the “plausibility principle“ so while it is certainly possible you may have to engage foreign troops fast roping down from a helo it is not likely very probable. Depending on who you quote for your source date,FBI, Range Master,US Govt, there is a plethora of data points. In the end the great majority of defensive handgun shootings in this Country occur inside twenty yards. We do most of our work at seven yards. We certainly expose the student to both shorter and longer drills but the bulk of our training for the standard defensive pistol course is at seven yards.
PS I should have been more clear. Over 80% of the defensive handgun shootings in this Country on average occur at seven yards. Thus we train for what is most likely or “probable“ if you will.

Thanks. Sorry it took so long to reply but I have a kidney stone that decided it wanted to start moving yesterday. Then last night froze all night, haven’t eaten in 48 hours so I went to a Med Express and they think I have Lyme disease. I start meds tomorrow as they were closed for Mother’s Day.

-
Back