Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
12 gauge birdshot.
Just sayin...

And the obligatory fur missile in launch position.
IMAG0207.jpg

Hah! Love it! But where pray tell is the obligatory Zombie Cat? He have the day off?
Bwahahaha!
Unfortunately, Zombie Cat has joined my beloved Roo in the great beyond.
I really miss that dog.
facebook_14928870803401.jpg

Here's The Roo teaching the new pup.
She had that shep trained better than I ever will.

Subsonic.9mm (suppressed) 900fps

Frange.9mm 1000 fps

Low Recoil 12ga 1200 fps

5.56mm 26" barrel 3120 fps

Rule #3... know your target, what's in front of it and what's beyond it

Here's The Roo teaching the new pup.
She had that shep trained better than I ever will.

Great video! Love the tail thumping on the sheet metal! Clearly there can only be one king of the pool! Roo for the win! I am quarreling with myself now over next steps as my fearless K9 Hemi is retired and getting white in the muzzle and at ten years old starting to lose some mobility as well. The age old question do you get another one now for the simplicity of training a pup with a mature dog, or wait and just start anew? Hemi is fiercely protective and a jealous wench. I fear she may kill a pup if I bring one home. Same token she is so absolutely smart it would really expedite the whole training process. We have a couple of Mals here local that are about to get rotated but I don’t think I am man enough for a Mal! They are like Shepard’s on Crack. I will stick to a GSD!

Great video! Love the tail thumping on the sheet metal! Clearly there can only be one king of the pool! Roo for the win! I am quarreling with myself now over next steps as my fearless K9 Hemi is retired and getting white in the muzzle and at ten years old starting to lose some mobility as well. The age old question do you get another one now for the simplicity of training a pup with a mature dog, or wait and just start anew? Hemi is fiercely protective and a jealous wench. I fear she may kill a pup if I bring one home. Same token she is so absolutely smart it would really expedite the whole training process. We have a couple of Mals here local that are about to get rotated but I don’t think I am man enough for a Mal! They are like Shepard’s on Crack. I will stick to a GSD!
The Roo was mostly Dutch Shepherd. Think of Dutches as Maligators without an off switch. We've mostly had GSDs (or German Shedders as we like to call them.) Dutch Shepherds are on an energy level all their own and if they get bored, you will KNOW about it.
I was/am completely enamored by The Roo and was devastated when she stroked out on me. It kind of fractured my bond with Kayda and I am working hard to mend that.

The Roo was mostly Dutch Shepherd. Think of Dutches as Maligators without an off switch. We've mostly had GSDs (or German Shedders as we like to call them.) Dutch Shepherds are on an energy level all their own and if they get bored, you will KNOW about it.
I was/am completely enamored by The Roo and was devastated when she stroked out on me. It kind of fractured my bond with Kayda and I am working hard to mend that.
Understood. The bonds created between a man and his dog are serious strong. My wife often comments I get separation anxiety when away from my hound for very long but suffer no ill effects when separated from her! Hah! I fear she may be a little bit correct. As for the shedding, I pay a neighbor girl to vacuum at ten bucks a throw! She is trying to save up for sparring gear. Her and Hemi are hilarious together, Hemi has about thirty pounds on her. Her Dad brings her over and then He and I go out in the shop and sip Bourbon while she vacuums! Everybody wins!

I hear ya, I am going through that right now myself. I lost my Zeus 2 weeks ago. Chase isn't quite the same, OR it's me thinking that. Anywho, I am looking for a female pup up to a year old or so for a playmate for him.

Not disagreeing with you, however I live in a neighborhood with houses on every side & I am very concerned about high velocity bullets that miss thier mark. I would rather take my chances unarmed as kill someone else in the house or a kid next door.

That was my primary consideration buying a tactical shotgun. I want to shift the odds in my favor without risking others.

Anybody have any wisdom on this issue?
So this is really interesting. As pointed out in addition to velocity, the unwanted penetration will also depend on material, distance, projectile shape and construction.
Paul Harrell has tested a Taurus Judge with a variety of different ammo
https://www.youtube.com/c/PaulHarrell/search?query=judge
He also has a fair number of videos testing out a variety of shot gun and other firearms for penetration through building materials. Just do a search. About as objective and fair testing as you will find on youtube.

Just as a quick comparison to illustrate why I wrote it's pretty interesting and sometimes surprising that the other factors are at least as important as velocity:
Chris Baker experimented with shooting at 16 plywood boards with 4 different weapons and calibers.
30-06 2700 fps 16 boards (not surprising)
.30 Carbine 1950 fps 11 boards (shot tumbled), & 12 boards
5.56 3000 fps 8 boards
.45 ACP 800 fps 5 boards
.30 Carbine Ammo Testing - Gel Tests & More

Last edited:
Doesn’t shotgun penetration depend on the type of load used? Is there an assumed shot size for a shotgun when making the comparison?

I just watched a video last night, #8 bird shot will penetrate 3/8" into ballistics gel at 90 yards, and close to 4" at 70 yards. Run an open choke and it's plenty for in house situations, and you won't shoot the neighbor if that's a concern.

With that being said, I use a suppressed 9mm in the house.

I hear ya, I am going through that right now myself. I lost my Zeus 2 weeks ago. Chase isn't quite the same, OR it's me thinking that. Anywho, I am looking for a female pup up to a year old or so for a playmate for him.
Sorry to hear about Zeus, I remember when ya got him and what he meant to you. I can't say to when another should join the family. In my case, Deb will show me Dutches on the net and I think she would in a heartbeat, but I really need to make things right with Kayda first.
(More like make things right with me first, but that is beyond the scope here.)
I know I say that The Roo had Kayda trained, but I would swear that I see some Rooisms in some of the things that Shedder does.
20190618_174416.jpg

So as always this thread takes a million turns. I was just out in shop doing some PM and dawned on me it is time for yet another unsolicited PSA for all you lead slingers. This year I am seeing a disproportionate amount of AR malfunctions in classes. At first I figured it was due to all the home built rigs and the overall inexperienced shooters that are flooding classes, (we love you by the way) But seriously without fail, when they hand me their rifle with downturned eyes, and a crestfallen face thinking it is a major broke rifle. I pop it open and invariably it is absolutely clean. They often times explain I cleaned and oiled it right before class? I then ask to see the oil. Without fail it is 3:1 lubricant and cleaner. The magic solution to gun cleaning. Now I am by no means saying that there is not an application for 3:1 but most likely on a hunting rifle or pistol. NOT on a AR in a 100 degree day needing to cycle 800-1000 rounds. An AR will run all day, all night dirty, if it is wet. If it is clean, and dry maybe 150 rounds. Specifically Teflon based and some synthetics, the heat destroys any lubrication factors that may have been there initially. Keep em wet boys and they will run all day! Ya get to much oil and what’s the worst that can happen? You look like a raccoon! Hah! Anyway just thought I would toss this out there since we are all training in nigh heat this year. You are training right?
Be safe guys and watch out for those Zombie Cats!

So as always this thread takes a million turns. I was just out in shop doing some PM and dawned on me it is time for yet another unsolicited PSA for all you lead slingers. This year I am seeing a disproportionate amount of AR malfunctions in classes. At first I figured it was due to all the home built rigs and the overall inexperienced shooters that are flooding classes, (we love you by the way) But seriously without fail, when they hand me their rifle with downturned eyes, and a crestfallen face thinking it is a major broke rifle. I pop it open and invariably it is absolutely clean. They often times explain I cleaned and oiled it right before class? I then ask to see the oil. Without fail it is 3:1 lubricant and cleaner. The magic solution to gun cleaning. Now I am by no means saying that there is not an application for 3:1 but most likely on a hunting rifle or pistol. NOT on a AR in a 100 degree day needing to cycle 800-1000 rounds. An AR will run all day, all night dirty, if it is wet. If it is clean, and dry maybe 150 rounds. Specifically Teflon based and some synthetics, the heat destroys any lubrication factors that may have been there initially. Keep em wet boys and they will run all day! Ya get to much oil and what’s the worst that can happen? You look like a raccoon! Hah! Anyway just thought I would toss this out there since we are all training in nigh heat this year. You are training right?
Be safe guys and watch out for those Zombie Cats!
I'm kind of an old school CLP guy. I've been playing with red moly grease on the slide parts of the BCG and sear/trigger. I'm also a big fan of Ballistol, but have been running Hornaday One Shot on my cowboy guns for about a year now and it seems to be holding up well.
But yeah, my 1911s, my ARs (not that I own any) and my M1 run wet.

Oh, and Deb and I both swear we see Zombie Cat every once and a while.

My ruger 10 22 runs on wd 40. Thousand of gofers a year. I clean it once a year.

Wow, I am learning a lot in this discussion!
And that is why we started this thread! From Zombie Cats, how to wash your dog, to unsolicited gun bunny advice, and everything in between! And virtually zero politics! It is clearly the ultimate QnA thread and definitive place to get answers on Dogs, Guns and Blades! (If only!) Hah!

What is a good upper barreled receiver for the money to go on a AR lower receiver? What would be a good caliber also to use? 9 mm, 7.62x39, 50 cal Beowulf?

What is a good upper barreled receiver for the money to go on a AR lower receiver? What would be a good caliber also to use? 9 mm, 7.62x39, 50 cal Beowulf?
There is a bunch of guys on here that build ARs, I am not one of them! While I do compete with one quite regularly I do not build em. I think the caliber question is clearly dependent upon intended use. Obviously a 9mm does not have the same application profile of the 50 cal. So I would start by clearly defining intended use then select the caliber most appropriate to your intent.

There is a bunch of guys on here that build ARs, I am not one of them! While I do compete with one quite regularly I do not build em. I think the caliber question is clearly dependent upon intended use. Obviously a 9mm does not have the same application profile of the 50 cal. So I would start by clearly defining intended use then select the caliber most appropriate to your intent.
The intended use would be for fun and for possible protection. The 9 mm would be cheaper to fire than the 50 cal. The 50 cal would sure make a big boom.

The intended use would be for fun and for possible protection. The 9 mm would be cheaper to fire than the 50 cal. The 50 cal would sure make a big boom.

The 9mm will be adequate for shooting burglars in your home

The 50 cal will be good for shooting burglars in yours neighbour's house, across the street, behind the fridge

I thought I was alone in my liberal use of lubricant for decades. Thank you.

ARs have been mentioned quite a bit. Any AK owners here?

-
Back