Guns, Dogs and Blades QnA

-
Well Christmas is over, finally. Anybody get any cool new blasters from Santa? our boy gave his wife one of my old 270s . It does not fit her at all. She weighs maybe ninety pounds and I am guessing 5-4ish? She deer hunted with it this weekend and was not a fan. I am going to find her something a bit shorter with less wallop. Our deer at best, weigh 100 pounds. She just does not need all that rifle. She goes elk hunting we will rethink The solution. Anybody got a small stature lady in your life that has a favorite deer rifle? Looking for ideas here. Think small deer short range. Absolute longest shot she will see on our farm is likely 200 yards unless she shoots across the pastures. Usual shot is 35-75 yards generally.

Well had to add this just cause it made me howl!

83BB88DE-58CC-492B-8694-58574D35CA4B.jpeg

I got both my son and daughter Rem Model 7s in 7-08. I put Limbsaver pads on them and velcro cheek risers for the stocks because their faces don't have any meat when they are 12/13. I downloaded 139gr Hornady interlocks using H4895 powder to give 2200 fps at the muzzle. They could shoot these loads without flinching and it grouped at 1MOA. Four one shot kills from 60-120 yards using this method and now they are big enough to take standard loads. I think Remington used to sell reduced recoil ammo if handloading is a problem.
1672174321080.png

1672174428345.png

I got both my son and daughter Rem Model 7s in 7-08. I put Limbsaver pads on them and velcro cheek risers for the stocks because their faces don't have any meat when they are 12/13. I downloaded 139gr Hornady interlocks using H4895 powder to give 2200 fps at the muzzle. They could shoot these loads without flinching and it grouped at 1MOA. Four one shot kills from 60-120 yards using this method and now they are big enough to take standard loads. I think Remington used to sell reduced recoil ammo if handloading is a problem.
View attachment 1716027070

View attachment 1716027071
That is a great idea! Had not even thought about that caliber. It used to be all the rage for the BR crowd many years ago. I got plenty of 4895! There is so many 6.5 offerings out there now I was thinking about that or 243. I got a buddy that is talking smack about letting a Tikka 243 go.

That is a great idea! Had not even thought about that caliber. It used to be all the rage for the BR crowd many years ago. I got plenty of 4895! There is so many 6.5 offerings out there now I was thinking about that or 243. I got a buddy that is talking smack about letting a Tikka 243 go.
There is specific reduced load data for H4895. I think can reduce from max book load for a given bullet by up to 60% of max load. This does not translate directly to other powders.
https://hodgdon.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/09/h4895-reduced-rifle-loads.pdf

Tikka's are really nice rifles and 243 is a good low recoil choice as well, but I like a little more leeway on bullet diameter and penetration with a new hunter. I went with 7-08 because I've been shooting a .280 for a long time and have a lot of 7mm bullets. The .308 win with 125 gr Sierra Pro Hunter would be an excellent choice as well. That bullet performs very well. My goal was to have 30-30ish ballistics in a rifle that they could grow into. My son was pretty recoil shy while my daughter seemed to like getting smacked by the rifle. I just tried to make it fun for them and would let him go back to the .22lr after a group or two with the deer rifle.

For that kind of hunting a 300 BLK upper on an AR with a 1-4 or 1-6 would do it. I like 6.8 SPC and it mirrors 308 to about 400 yards.

CZ makes a youth carbine with a 5 round magazine in 7.62x39. Maybe that round is blasphemy for a Marine. :usflag: I like the round myself.

good ole M1 or, if you are committed to the 7.62 cartridge, the SKS is pretty fail safe
I think a bolt action would be a better application for the application SLO is appealing to but hey, I’m all about discussing other rifles.

Some SKS rifles have become quite collectible. I have a Yugo with a barrel that looks like a sewer pipe. Lol

CZ makes a youth carbine with a 5 round magazine in 7.62x39. Maybe that round is blasphemy for a Marine. :usflag: I like the round myself.
Your killing me BP! Hah! I have really taken a shine to all things CZ. I am anxious to see what they do with the Dan Wesson line. They have become a force in handguns for sure.

For that kind of hunting a 300 BLK upper on an AR with a 1-4 or 1-6 would do it. I like 6.8 SPC and it mirrors 308 to about 400 yards.
The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards an AR platform based rig. To your point the flexibility and modularity is unparalleled. ARs have become the 350 Chevy of the firearms world. Another example of Blasphemy! Hah!

The more I think about it the more I am leaning towards an AR platform based rig. To your point the flexibility and modularity is unparalleled. ARs have become the 350 Chevy of the firearms world. Another example of Blasphemy! Hah!
I myself don't have one, never appealed to me for some reason. Have a friend that is really into them, so I kid him and call them Barbie for men.

You can even go bolt action in multiple calibers with the lower you already own.

Not a blaster from Santa, but I took advantage of the sale Wilson Combat was having. Ordered a receiver set and handguard combo, along with all the other parts to build a rifle. Going with their 18" Super Sniper barrel in 223 Wylde. Also grabbed a Geissele trigger for it with the awesome sale Geissele was having. I can't wait until all the parts show up to start building it.

Not a blaster from Santa, but I took advantage of the sale Wilson Combat was having. Ordered a receiver set and handguard combo, along with all the other parts to build a rifle. Going with their 18" Super Sniper barrel in 223 Wylde. Also grabbed a Geissele trigger for it with the awesome sale Geissele was having. I can't wait until all the parts show up to start building it.
Heads up if it has any value to you I live very close to a Wilson Combat and can fetch parts and ship if you get in a bind.

So our oldest boy (E7 Army) pulled off a surprise holiday visit while taking some leave. As a result we just held the first ever annual World Championship, Red Ryder, invitational BB gun Tournament here at Blair Creek Training Center. His five year old is the reigning Champ! Look out Camp Perry here we come!

B1B6601C-3F37-4B7F-AFEB-30FDEC1F8943.jpeg

207807F3-B120-4076-BC20-51FF328333CF.jpeg

-
Back