Guy,s with a B Body rear end...Questions

-

68383GTS

Reaction score
I have a 68 Barracuda and I am thinking about putting a 1965-67 B Body rear end under it. I will be running 15'' tires.Can I run a 275x60x15 tire with the B Body rear end.If so what backspacing rim would I need? I don't want any rubbing issues? If I can't run that big of tire how big of tire can I use?
I have torque thrust with 3 3/4 backspacing ,but imagine I couldn't use a very wide tire. Any idea on how wide of a tire I could use with the torque thrust wheels?

Thanks,Jim

I have 15x8 rims with a custom backspace of 4 5/8 which was the max they would do on that particular wheel and have 295-50-15s on those. The 15x10 rims I mount the 10.5 x 29.5 slicks on have a 6 inch backspace. The wheel house is very close on width and the opening has to be modified for that diameter. This is on a 75 Duster that has no tub work done yet.....

Hey Jim, although I don't have a 68 Barracuda, I did install one in my Dart Sport and I run a 60 series tire on a 10" wheel with 5.5 inch BS, works perfect.

I would think a 60 series tire would work with the correct BS. Install the rear, and do some measuring.

You may have to buy some new wheels.

You can kinda see how the 295-50s fit from this view but I forgot to mention I moved the springs in and lowered the front eye 2" hence the stance.

vbpgimage.php

First thing I would do is get the rear end in, then measure from the face of the drum back to the spring and minus an inch to set your backspacing! Then I would measure from the face of the drum to the wheel lip and minus an inch there also! Add the backspace number to the front offset and that will give you your rim width! Then you need to convert the tire width from millimeters to standard measurement to figure your maximum tire width for your rim size! Any tire shop can tell you what the maximum tire width for any particular rim is, but figuring that 215mm is the max on a 5.5" rim, you can divide 215 by 5.5" and get the mm per inch of tire width, which would be 39mm per inch of rim width! Assuming you can run an 8" wide rim, you can safely run a 295mm wide tire!

Thanks Geoff.If I had the money I would just buy the 8.25 you have and do a road trip. Did you ever sell it?

I did sell it, to a member here who met me at the Nats to pick it up!! Funny thing is, now I have a 65-7 B body 8 3/4", complete, that I just pulled from under a Cuda I just got!! Keep the road trip plans on and come get this thing!!!! ��

-
Back